Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lost another one~ (note, strong language used)

I've seen more Maxtors and Western Digitals here at home, and I have to say the WD's are the more reliable. I have had only one WD go, and it was a 4.3 5400RPM ATA66 drive I'd purchased used. I've had to RMA about 3 or 4 Maxtors so far, but I keep my data backed up, so it's not a big deal.

I got a glass platter IBM 60GXP 40gig model. Not a problem so far. Purchased in October 2001, which apparantly was a "Good month" for production.

Maxtor have ****ty drives out at the moment. Might have something to do with them & Quantum merging..... Quantum were the IBM of the 90's.

Western Digital 100gigs are the fastest out there. Seagate support can be a bit dodgey in Australia. Ive had two drives (8gig and a 4gig) sent off still under warranty only to be refused because the drives were re-sold under another company. (in my case- Compaq Australia)
    Compaq offer 1year warranty, Segate offer 3 and will not honor it, despite them manufacturing the drive.

Im looking at my 8gig now. Is keeping my door nice and still. Nice kick marks on it too.
    :(
    Platters of the 4gig are hanging from a wall entertaining my 2yo cousin.
    :(

Various other incidents with segate involve general BS like packaging. I sent the drive safe and secure in their 'Shell' cases and they send it back in foam & a flimsy box.
    But good drives, just watch their support. Or lack of it.

Quote Originally Posted by outvit

Back to the original post, what do you have against Maxtor, it seems to me that this is an isolated event and is not a reason at all to abandon one of the best hard drive makers in the world.
    yer joking right?

get real, maxtor sucks ASS and will never be considered "good"

i suggest you go to www.harddrivehell.com and read up, click the links to the old news and keeps going

this is FAR FAR from an isolated event

i have had a 0/100 rate with maxtor drives

why do i still have them?

cuz they won't refund my $$, only RMA them

for those who seriously thought i was gonna use a glass plater drive, HA! we both know better than that...
    <a href="http://www.harddrivehell.com">http://www.geocities.com/ctnow_da_ru/images/logod.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by ct_

yer joking right?

get real, maxtor sucks ASS and will never be considered "good"

i suggest you go to www.harddrivehell.com and read up, click the links to the old news and keeps going

this is FAR FAR from an isolated event

i have had a 0/100 rate with maxtor drives

why do i still have them?

cuz they won't refund my $$, only RMA them

for those who seriously thought i was gonna use a glass plater drive, HA! we both know better than that...
    I have NEVER had a problem with Maxtor drives.

I'm real happy that you haven't had any problems with Maxtor drives, but their reliability is rather well documented as an issue to be concerned with when making a purchase.

BZ,
    I'll agree that the older Seagate drives were far from worthy, but the ones that have been maketed during the past year or two have improved quite a bit. I'm just getting back into a Seagate drive so haven't had the necessity to RMA one, so I can't speak for their support. But I CAN speak for their performance. They rank rather high up the food chain in this area, and I haven't had any problems at all using a Barracuda drive with multiple partitions and both FAT32 and NTFS file systems installed.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Out of the (literally) hundreds of drives I have diagnosed faulty for clients, every brand under the sun has appeared in the list except Western Digital. They did have a bad run in 1999 due to a faulty chip being supplied by a contractor, but almost all the faulty drives were successfully recalled. My 2GB Caviar AC22000L 5200RPM drive has fallen off the end of my desk twice, onto the timber floor - not a single bad sector to this day. Has been serving me almost continuously since I built my first system in December 1997 :)

Here is a list of the brands I have found faulty (in order of percentage - most reliable first). So therefore my recommended purchasing order :D

1) Western Digital
    2) Quantum
    3) Seagate
    4) IBM
    5) Maxtor
    6) Fujitsu
    7) JTS (every one dead)

Its funny you should mention that Darth, I had a customer from the 'states bring his machine in for an upgrade (new PSU/modem etc cause of differences between the countries) and his seagate drive was same model as my 8gig, yet the outside was totally different. Mine has the rubber outside layer thing, wheras his was a silver shell one, like the old school medalist 2gig drives. Identical model numbers, even manufactued same year.

These newer seagates arent really that good ive found (performance wise) and im still having the occasional *****-fight with them & RMA cases. Western Digital get my thumbs up. Their caviar drives I never did like, but these new ones go off. So does their support.

Not quite as fast as my deskstar, but im starting to keep an eagle-eye on it, first sign of failure, and its backup & get me a nice 100+gig western digital.
    in a weird kinda way- i want this deskstar to fail, need an excuse for a 100gig hdd. :)

I am just curious about the amount of drives these companies sell worldwide. If we are going to decide which harddisk is the best we should consiser these numbers.

If Maxtor, for example, sells twice as much drives as Western Digital. It is very logical, they have twice the amount of problems.

Albinus has worked with all brands so his opinion is valued.

I also have Maxtor drives, and haven't had any problems (yet)
    :rolleyes2

:D I can't say about the WD's, I've had little experence.......although, my buddies at "The Network Giant Co." have been beating feet from IBM, since the heat problem cropped up, and their now are indorsing WD. I've had the best luck with Q Bigfoots. Old, but Damned reliable. Of all the ones I've picked up since '97, I've only had one get tweaky...... Lately I've been picky up Maxtors again.

I've found that two things are critical, in my opion, 1) keep'm cool and 2) turn the damn rigs off when not in use. I know more people that buy into the ..."Keep them Running theory".... than can't figure out why the drives fail after a couple of months.

I would be very interested in seeing some reliblity #'s, if anyone cone across any....

:thumb: well these my two$ worth..............
    Todate: 1000+ OC'g postings,
    +=I lost count sometime ago.

AthlonXP 1800|MSI K7T266PRO2|786mb P2100 Mushkin|20gig IBM GXP60 (Deathstar- it's twin died) Hd |20gig maxtor ata133|Abit GF4 TI 4200|SdBlstr live!|16x t0shy|16x10x40 Liton| Cooling: 3 80mm cf@128cfm, 2 grill Hd fans, 2 92mm & 80mm @64cfm mod'd gladiator.
    CPU @ 34c & Case @ 31c| MSXP|dsl

Save everybody sometime, post your system spec's. It saves time when ya need help!

Thats actually quite funny, not many people liking the ibm's. Im running 4 - 40GB ibm hdd (in raid 5) , and havent had a hardware related issue yet
    "make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot...."

Help solve the gene mystery join us at the TweakTown Folding@home Team

A pub - ahh yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence, by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks. - taken from red dwarf

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information