Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lost another one~ (note, strong language used)

I would say then that ya have a good source of cool fresh air blowing over them then otherwise ya'd know the misery that others have had with them. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

i own a small custom shop here in the states and won't use any drive other than wd now, i gave maxtor a shot but right at this present time i have 98% failure rate on them so nothing good will ever be said about them

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    I would say then that ya have a good source of cool fresh air blowing over them then otherwise ya'd know the misery that others have had with them. :smokin:

i thought every sensible person runs at least 1 fan for hdd

silly me
    "make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot...."

Help solve the gene mystery join us at the TweakTown Folding@home Team

A pub - ahh yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence, by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks. - taken from red dwarf

Beefy Guest

I don't.. :)

yeh thats what i thought, i said every sensible person
    "make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot...."

Help solve the gene mystery join us at the TweakTown Folding@home Team

A pub - ahh yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence, by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks. - taken from red dwarf

Beefy Guest

Seriously though, my HDD's are fine without it...

Very sensible when running IBM's anyway, but WD's and Seagates don't seem to mind plus ya got to remember that a lot of ppl out there use generic cases that don't allow the HDD's to be mounted where fresh air will cool them. :smokin:

Here's my two cents:

I've never used Quantum drives since all the 6.4Gb CX drives started falling of the perch. Maxtor merged with Quantum, they now produce Quantum drives badged as Maxtor. Maxtor also always had speed issues with alot of their drives being released in "quiet mode"

Since then I've been using Seagate. Only a few RMA's out of 100's, mainly on their U6 5400rpm drives.

Seagate or WD are the way to go.
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

Most of the cases we are running here are gen's. I have been very careful to keep the drives as free and as far from the other heat producers as possible. Lately, I've been dropping the drives to the bottom of the case, since I found the Evercase hard drive toolless mounting brackets. Their nice and just the right highth to put two drives in raid behind the front case fan. And at $5 usd, each, one great solution.

My, personel rig is in a Maxtop case. Lovely little case, part alum and with 7 high preformance fans.....cool air is in good supply. The T's are good, and for the hardcores, The full load T's were done with a 12 hour "Burnin Loop," with Mb 5 tracking, and probe spot checks.

I have maybe hundred hard drives between the wk & hm. To date I have only one drive that's getting tweaky, a 6 Gig Q bigfoot. I can't complain, It's old.. tired..and greatly mistreated, but after 6years....hey. It's still running....

Keep'm cool and shut them off when they are not in use
    Todate: 1000+ OC'g postings,
    +=I lost count sometime ago.

AthlonXP 1800|MSI K7T266PRO2|786mb P2100 Mushkin|20gig IBM GXP60 (Deathstar- it's twin died) Hd |20gig maxtor ata133|Abit GF4 TI 4200|SdBlstr live!|16x t0shy|16x10x40 Liton| Cooling: 3 80mm cf@128cfm, 2 grill Hd fans, 2 92mm & 80mm @64cfm mod'd gladiator.
    CPU @ 34c & Case @ 31c| MSXP|dsl

Save everybody sometime, post your system spec's. It saves time when ya need help!

Originally posted by Dlab

My, personel rig is in a Maxtop case. Lovely little case, part alum and with 7 high performance fans.....cool air is in good supply.

Keep'm cool and shut them off when they are not in use
    Why would anyone have HDD installed, and not use 'em?

What do you mean by shut them off. Do you mean the power save menu in window?
    Or do you mean, turn your system off when your done.

And finally,
    Does your case fly since it's made of aluminium and has 7 fans? wings:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information