Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Raid 1 setup

Default Raid 1 setup

Im new to RAID. I want to setup a single SATA drive as my boot drive supported by 2 drives in a RAID 1 for storage.

Im assuming that SATA RAID/AHCI needs to be setup first in the BIOS prior to installing Windows (or am I wrong).

I would like to use one of the 200GB drives I have in my current system with my data already on it. Would be easier to move files over to the boot drive then configure the raid later.

Is this possible with the EP45-DS3R?

Default Re: Raid 1 setup

While not a necessity to set up the RAID during initial installation, it is easiest to do it this way so you can make sure to get all native drivers in their proper place. It can be installed later on, but I always like easy.

As for the 200GB drive with data, I don't think it will transfer from your single drive to the RAID in which you use this drive. Others can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think I am. Once the RAID is set up you will need to format it like a normal drive then transfer your data over to its new home. lso, since you are using a RAID1 setup (no redundancy), I would recommend backing up any important data to DVD or another drive. This will ensure your important information is safe in the event of a drive failure in the RAID. Without redundancy, your data will be lost if a drive fails.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I automatically backup every 3 days to another drive. After doing alot of research I may just scratch the idea of RAID due to me backing up my data as often as I do. Also, I backup to a DVD about 30 days or so. Unless all heck breaks loose in my computer I dont think I have much to worry about.

Anything you can think of to have a RAID? For the OS?

I prefer to keep the OS off a RAID. Single drives have a lower failure rate than a RAID as a rule. I also keep an image of the fresh install once I get everything set up to my liking so even if the drive fails I cab just blow the image back to a new drive and be running again. RAID is all right for storage space, but with the speed of modern drives, it really doesn't make enough difference to mess with it (just my opinion). When an array breaks, your files usually goes to data heaven.
    My Toys

What software do you use for the image? Ghost?

Yes, it is about the only Norton product that I will even consider, but there are some others that will do the job as well.
    My Toys

Thread Information