Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Consumption

I was basing my HDD judgements on 7200RPM Western Digital drives - maybe they use less power than IBM ones? :?:

I stand by my calculations - and AOpen PSU's are generally rated 20% below what they are capable of. My 300 Watt model is running a 1.7GHz Pentium 4 (over 80 watts there), 4 Hard Drives (2 of them Quantums = more power), every adapter card slot full, overclocked AGP card and 6 fans. The PSU copes admirably.

As for the power calculations - refer to the CPU datasheets provided by Intel and AMD on their websites - under Thermal data.

And don't forget RAID drives (Promise ones at least) have staggered startup to prevent overloading the PSU - SCSI cards are like that as well. This simply turns the RAID drives on one at a time to minimise bogging down the PSU :)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

I dunno bout anyone else, but I for one have never come across a single case of someone's PSU not being strong enough to sustain their system.

All the high wattage PSUs (400W, 500W+) are just playing on people who think bigger is necessarily better.

For instance, I don't know of anyone having a 1.0 litre car that wasn't powerful enough to get up a hill. No matter how steep it was.
    Onyx

TweakTown
    OCAU - Overclockers Australia
    CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

in response to that....i can say that I HAVE seen as well as heard of instances where the PSU doesn't cut it.. the problem is a lot of people end up passing it off as a faulty m/b or video card, seen it all too often...

its moreso a case of a PSU carking it after going too hard too long, and thats danger in any system....i am convinced that 300W will only be bare-minimum sufficient, and i myself would only use a trusted brand's 300W rating, brand-trust is a more personal thing though, i do urge people take a look at the AMD recommended PSU list i linked earlier...
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx
    I dunno bout anyone else, but I for one have never come across a single case of someone's PSU not being strong enough to sustain their system.

All the high wattage PSUs (400W, 500W+) are just playing on people who think bigger is necessarily better.

For instance, I don't know of anyone having a 1.0 litre car that wasn't powerful enough to get up a hill. No matter how steep it was.
    Actually, I had that problem, not too long ago. The PSU didn't explode or damage anything or do anything dramatic. It just could not handle the load. After I overclocked, there wasn't enough juice to keep everything running, so I would get booted out of games, once my vidcard started sucking power. That was an "extreme" case, cause I had a 145W PSU and replaced it with a 350W Enermax. But it is still relative, the more devices/toys you have drawing power, the more power you need to keep everything happy. It all balances in the end.

cheers
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Quote Originally Posted by skullshot
    in response to that....i can say that I HAVE seen as well as heard of instances where the PSU doesn't cut it.. the problem is a lot of people end up passing it off as a faulty m/b or video card, seen it all too often...

its moreso a case of a PSU carking it after going too hard too long, and thats danger in any system....i am convinced that 300W will only be bare-minimum sufficient, and i myself would only use a trusted brand's 300W rating, brand-trust is a more personal thing though, i do urge people take a look at the AMD recommended PSU list i linked earlier...
    I have seen cases where a 300w power supply couldn't cut it - but size was not the problem - in every case it was a cheapo generic PS, when it was replaced with a good quality 300w the problems went away

Quote Originally Posted by RDR

I have seen cases where a 300w power supply couldn't cut it - but size was not the problem - in every case it was a cheapo generic PS, when it was replaced with a good quality 300w the problems went away

That's what I'm trying to push here - a cheap 300 watt PSU will probably **** itself, whereas a good one from the likes of AOpen or Enermax will cope quite fine :thumb:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

But still, 8 IDE devices? They're not SCSI but I still think a 350 watt is the minimum he should have. 400 watts is good. Beyond that is overkill IMO, but it won't hurt. ;)

My 2cents. :snip:

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx

well, i had a 300 watt jobber in my last case with all the same drives i have now

it ended up frying 2 hdd before i figured out the problem was they were being underpowered while in heavy use (that was the very LAST thing it could have been, btw)
    and this was a good 300w psu

i upgraded to a 400w enermax and i have no problems now

situation:

i just got myself an OLD gateway server case, 6 ext bays, 4 internal, and space to hang another 5 bay cage :)

problem is the psu that came with it

this sucker is BIG, and i mean HUGE!
    2 1/2x the size of any standard psu you can get these days BUT it's only 250watts

i have a 200 and a 250 watt AT psu lying around collecting dust, so i'll epoxy them together, cut a big enough hole for the fans and the plugs in the back (not like it will take much cutting anyway!) and screw them to the case
    i'll combine the two power switches to the origonal on/off switch
    and i'll still have an inch over top and 2" below the combined PSU to play with

so, using the 250 for the main hdds, the board and the cpu fan, and the 200 for everything else

question:

will that be enough to power the 4 maxtors(on pci card), the WD(ide), the scsi card (zip250), the usb(camera, printer, game pad, zip100), idecdrom, scsicdrom, idecdrw, idedvd(with dvd decoder card), cpu (amd k6-3+ 450), board (gigabyte ga-5ax) and the rest of the system bus ?

let's assume i'm burning a cdr(1), listening to MP3's(2), surfing/chattin' online(3), sending email(4), downloading anything i can find @ a nice speed(5), all while serving FTP/http(6) and managing/moving files round(7) ?

all of which happens frequently enough at the same time as to make this a valid question, and i'm not including sending stuff to the printer or playing a game (which takes 100% cpu everytime) when i'm not surfing

(1) idecdrw drive taking data from the same drive as:
    (2) most of the mp3's and a lot of space for temp storage
    (3) mostly cpu power, some hdd as i go to new sites
    (4) all email is stored on yet another hdd, and i sometimes sned quite large files
    (5) main hdd for downloads
    (6) spread all across the drives
    (7) same thing as 6

i rarely see more than 15- 19% cpu at a time for more than a few minutes and it's usually under 10%
    sure, it spikes to 100%, but that never lasts more than a minute or so

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information