Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: need help

Question need help

I have a Western Digital CaviarŪ SE WD2500JS 250 GB and i need to know what kind of external enclosure i need. any help would be much appreciated

Default Re: need help

There are a lot of choices and all of the ones I have tested to date work well. Just make sure that you get either the IDE or SATA... whichever one matches your drive. There are models with USB and/or Firewire support, so again, choose the one that suits your needs.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

well my problem is i'm not sure if its a IDE or SATA drive i believe its SATA though. and i know i wanted it to be used through USB. and not firewire.

Since you are not interested in IEEE1394 (Firewire), the cost will be a little lower. However, if you have a eSATA port, the speeds are nearly identical to having the drive installed internally.

And yes, your drive is a 3Gb/s SATA drive with an 8MB cache.
    My Toys

well i'm hooking it up to my laptop so i'm just looking for USB 2.0 support but i have a 1394 slot on it do you its worth getting a enclosure with 1394 support? or just usb 2.0?

It really depends on your data transfer speed needs. Firewire is significantly faster for your data transfers than USB, but the units that also support Firewire are more expensive. Look at your needs and your budget and then decide. If you are in the US I generally recommend looking at Newegg.com since their prices are very competitive and they don't rape you with shipping.
    My Toys

well out of the ones i looked at i think i like this one.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RX35-AT-SU BLK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure - External Enclosures

it doesnt have 1394 support but those ones are extremely expensive.

what do you think?

All of the Rosewill devices I have tested in the past have done well. It should suit your needs for external storage.
    My Toys

Thread Information