Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Moving RAID 1 From 750GB's to 640GB's, How?

2therock is offline Member

Default Moving RAID 1 From 750GB's to 640GB's, How?

I have a set of WD RE3 750GB drives in RAID 1 GA-EP45-UD3P Mobo's Intel controler. The set is my system OS Vista (x64).

I want to move the data to a set of faster Western Digital 1AALS 640GB HDD's and keep the 750GB's for storage only. I have much less than 640GB space taken up on the 750GB RAID set.

How do I go about this? Can it be as simple as pulling a 750GB drive and boot letting it report a damaged drive and shut down, then install a 640GB and let it rebuild? Then repeat?
    I hear if you go from small to larger drives they will report and partition to the smaller drive space of the original but going from larger to smaller capacities this will be on the mark?

What say Ye my learn-ed friends?

I don't need 750GB system drives. I got a deal on the 640GB units and they are screamers incase you guys have not heard. The 32 MB Cache 1AALS units are really sweet.
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
    Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
    16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
    Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
    1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
    Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

2therock is offline Member

Default Re: Moving RAID 1 From 750GB's to 640GB's, How?

OK, Slow day here is it?

I went out on my own.

• Downloaded & Installed Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 Trial.
    • Broke up the 750GB Raid set removing one and moving the SATA connection off of port 1 to an unused port.
    • Installed the 640GB's on ports 1 & 2 and she booted to the single 750GB.
    • Went ahead a initialized, allocated, simple volume, quick format so I could run some diagnostics to make sure they were OK.
    • Rebooted and created a RAID 1 set with them.
    • Rebooted and ran Migrate Easy choosing Manual mode and keeping the partition size proportional and leaving the 750GB data untouched and it rebooted.
    • Booting to the Acronis DOS type screen it started it's thing and took 40 minutes to complete and had a hit any key to shut down so I could remove the 750GB.
    • It booted back up fine and all is well. Vista seen the new genric volume and wanted a reboot.

Two hours tops because I was in new territory. Carefully swapping hard drives in and out and VERY carefully reading all the screens. If asked I would recommend the Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0.

About being able to just pull one and slapping one in. No go. When it see's it as a non-raid disk it will want to wipe both drives to create a new set.
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
    Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
    16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
    Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
    1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
    Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Thread Information