Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harddisk Size

I've just installed a new Maxtor 40 GB harddisk.
    After Formatting the disk it seems smaller than 40GB. Partitionmagic Pro states it's actually 38.123.456 bytes or something. Windows also reports the disk to be only 38,1 GB. Where did I lose 2 GB of diskspace?

:?:

Hard drive manufacturers use what's called a metric size, meaning 1000MB = 1GB, which is in fact wrong as 1024MB = 1GB which is where the so called space is wasted. Boot sectors and partitions also cut down on usable space. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Nno problem zzilver, you got what you paid for. But I think it's really amazing that in all these years the HDD industry hasn't figured out what a gigabyte is:?:

I guess the disc industry is a long way from where they make calculators:laugh:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

It's amazing that the damn things work, considering the "Horseshies and Hangernades Math they use to figure the size out,"......... of coarse, I guess I'm not surprised when I realize "It takes a freezer and a hammer, to work on them."

O well, its a good thing we love to build rigs so much. :laugh:
    Todate: 1000+ OC'g postings,
    +=I lost count sometime ago.

AthlonXP 1800|MSI K7T266PRO2|786mb P2100 Mushkin|20gig IBM GXP60 (Deathstar- it's twin died) Hd |20gig maxtor ata133|Abit GF4 TI 4200|SdBlstr live!|16x t0shy|16x10x40 Liton| Cooling: 3 80mm cf@128cfm, 2 grill Hd fans, 2 92mm & 80mm @64cfm mod'd gladiator.
    CPU @ 34c & Case @ 31c| MSXP|dsl

Save everybody sometime, post your system spec's. It saves time when ya need help!

THX

I suspected it was something simple. I am just glad I didn't format and install my disk for a second time.

It's a weird computer world out there.

The words: bits and bytes probably refer to the way big computer companies treat the (unexperienced) consumer.

They almost had me

I'm sure somewhere on the manufacturer's site there is a disclaimer;

something to the effect of
    Just because we say it's a certain size, doesn't mean that the OS will show it as being that size, cause the producer of the OS uses a "standard definition" of the wholly cryptic term "Gigabyte".
    Please disregard any discrepancy you may find, as our lies as to the actual capacity of our drives are qualified as entirely legal due to this lame-ass disclaimer.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

U got it pretty close..........I did see acouple disclaimers. Yr not a c;oset lawyer too....
    Todate: 1000+ OC'g postings,
    +=I lost count sometime ago.

AthlonXP 1800|MSI K7T266PRO2|786mb P2100 Mushkin|20gig IBM GXP60 (Deathstar- it's twin died) Hd |20gig maxtor ata133|Abit GF4 TI 4200|SdBlstr live!|16x t0shy|16x10x40 Liton| Cooling: 3 80mm cf@128cfm, 2 grill Hd fans, 2 92mm & 80mm @64cfm mod'd gladiator.
    CPU @ 34c & Case @ 31c| MSXP|dsl

Save everybody sometime, post your system spec's. It saves time when ya need help!

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    zzilver[/size]]
    THX

I suspected it was something simple. I am just glad I didn't format and install my disk for a second time.

It's a weird computer world out there.

The words: bits and bytes probably refer to the way big computer companies treat the (unexperienced) consumer.

They almost had me

Bits and bytes? Are ya sure ya want me to explain those ones too? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo

Bits and bytes? Are ya sure ya want me to explain those ones too? :D
    Well actually.........

Let me see, one byte is 8 bit. : party ha

But don't ask me about 16 or 32 bit colors, or the difference between a Sega 8 bit or 16 bit.
    Sure bigger numbers, means more. It's the same thing with cars. :thumb:

Do I really want to know this?

I think that you could live without it. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information