Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 2 Western Digital SATA Drives

Default 2 Western Digital SATA Drives

I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I had a 60gig WD Sata drive in and I decided to add a 160 gig sata drive to that. When I connected it the first time it booted fine. Then when I reset my computer after creating the NTFS partition it refuses to boot up at all. It lists them both as master.. not sure if this is the problem.. but I don't know what to do at this point.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: 2 Western Digital SATA Drives

SATA does away with the Master/Slave concept, but in its place it commonly tries to boot in sequential order of the installed drives. My initial guess would be that the new drive has been hooked up to a SATA port lower than the original. Usually your SATA ports will be labeled on the mainboard 1 through xx (however many you have). Try hooking the original drive to the SATA1 header and the other drive to a higher numbered one and see if it works.

Alternatively you can go into BIOS and see if it will allow you to choose the drive you want to boot from. Some of the older ones don't have this and you will need to do what I described above.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: 2 Western Digital SATA Drives

Figured it out... I plugged it into another PC and it booted right up. I checked the format and it was GPT? whatever that means... Something about a Protected format used by 64 bit operating systems... anyways... I reformated it in NTFS and plugged it back into the other PC and it worked fine =)

Thread Information