Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing HDD

Ok so I've thrown together a computer for my mate.
    Its a P4 2.26ghz, Epox 4G4A ,512mb ram and so on.
    It's running Windows XP pro at the moment.

He got a new HDD and thats the primary one with the OS installed on it and so on.
    Now we plugged his old WD HDD in with all his old documents and other data in it and we can't get the files we need off the old HDD.
    I've gone into the Computer Management thing in the control panel and it recognises that the WD HDD is there and is classified as active. But we cannot access the HDD through My Computer.

How should we go about making this drive accessible??
    BTW the primary is NTFS the old one is in FAT32.

Just make sure the jumpers are correct, WD has used some strange jumper configs in the past, so double check that. Win XP won't have any trouble with FAT32.

Now there was another thread recently where someone else was trying to get 2 WD's to work and they had to set the jumpers to Cable Select on both drives to get both to work (just make sure that the primary drive is at the end of the IDE cable). :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Well i've tried everything and still no good!! :(

Ive tried putting both on cable select and everything else i can think off and still the same problem......can see in disk management but can access the files!!

Any other ideas guys?? :confused:

I tried to do the same thing.
    In my case another OS formatted the hard drive I was trying to pull the data off of. I failed and let XP format the drive. The data was gone but I could use the drive with XP.
    Luckily I had the lost data on CD-R.
    Try putting the drive in another system, with the same OS that the data was written with, and burn what data you need to a CD-R.
    A definite pain in the *ss, but it might be your only option.

Beefy Guest

Have you tried booting using a boot disk and seeing if you can access the information from a command line? That would be a good test to make sure the drive is working and the data is still there... If so, then that's a good start....

Hmmm thanks for the ideas
    I'll go and give them a go and see how it goes

if u can see it in disk management, has there been a drive letter assigned to the drive!?

maybe you have to let winxp write its signature to the drive first
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Yeah thats the thing
    Its there in disk management and no drive letter.....and i cant seem to give it one....the only options i seem to have are to delete the partition or to create a dynamic disk....:confused:

ok well i have circled three things in this attached picture, NTFS and FAT32 - what filesystem is it listing for your drive?
    if none - wot colour is that bar up the top where it lists the drives partition?
    (better yet, take a screenie of that screen)
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information