Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DVD playback freezes - need help from an expert

Default DVD playback freezes - need help from an expert

I've been trying to resolve this issue for 2 weeks, and I officially need help.

When playing any DVD (I tried several) using Window Media Player or VNC, the DVD will start up, and I can usually start the movie playing (both video and sound work). Then, after a short random amount of time (10 -30 seconds), the DVD will freeze, then about 3 minutes later, the entire screen on the PC will go black. Control Alt Delete even takes a few minutes before the task manager will come up, often times I just reboot the PC, it's quicker.

I just rebuilt my mediapc:

1. Installed Windows 7
    2. Installed 2 hard drives (one IDE, one SATA)
    3. Installed DVD Writer (IDE)
    4. Integrated HD 4200 Graphics, with HDMI out
    5. Sempron 140 (unlocked, overclocked) with decent mother board

The problem may be with the way I have the IDE drives set up.

IDE Channel 0 Master - IDE Drive with OS (set using jumper)
    IDE Channel 0 Slave - IDE DVD Drive (not set with any jumpers)
    SATA Channel 2 Master - SATA Drive (Data Drive, no jumpers)
    (No other channels are in use)

If I enter the BIOS, and select the IDE Channel 1 Slave (the DVD Drive) and change the "IDE Channel 0 Slave" setting from Auto to None, I can't boot off of the drive, HOWEVER, in Windows, I can play a complete DVD without any freezing. There is a problem, though. While the DVD is playing, the screen with jitter occasionally, and the sound will pop with a loud crackle, to the point that watching a DVD is annoying. I also tried all of the other BIOS dropdown settings regarding the IDE Access Mode for the DVD Drive (CHS, LBA, Large, and the default Auto) and none solve the problem.

The only other thing I should point out is that the IDE Cable I am using, I did not use the end of the cable for "master" and the second one in from the end for slave. Would this cause my problem? I thought that using jumpers would "overrule" the specific ends of the IDE Cable.

I've pretty much ruled out codec's at this point, since the DVD can play for a few moments, and can play full length with the changed BIOs setting.

I've ruled out overclocking as an issue by running the prime95 test all night without error. All other programs (with the exception of firefox, not relevant for this topic) work fine.

I'm really at a loss and hope someone has a suggestion. Getting desperate, and I would like to avoid "buying" something to fix the problem, but I'm open to anything at this point. If I can't watch a DVD on this thing, it's pretty much pointless.

Thanks.

Default Re: DVD playback freezes - need help from an expert

You are right in saying the jumpers override the cable position. USing the master and slave on the cable will only be aplicable when using the jumper setting CS or Cable Select. Because the OS HDD and DVD drive are on the same IDE Channel this may cause problems somehow. I would suggest either a) By a new SATA HDD (much faster and better) for your OS and ditch the IDE , b) by a SATA DVD ROM drive, which is nice and cheap or c) replace both your IDE Devices with nice shinny new SATA drives and enjoy the benifits. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful. Short of that download VLC player and see if that will play your DVD.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Quote Originally Posted by NimrodAUS View Post
    You are right in saying the jumpers override the cable position. USing the master and slave on the cable will only be aplicable when using the jumper setting CS or Cable Select. Because the OS HDD and DVD drive are on the same IDE Channel this may cause problems somehow. I would suggest either a) By a new SATA HDD (much faster and better) for your OS and ditch the IDE , b) by a SATA DVD ROM drive, which is nice and cheap or c) replace both your IDE Devices with nice shinny new SATA drives and enjoy the benifits. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful. Short of that download VLC player and see if that will play your DVD.
    Totally wrong.

jfox00
    If both drives are jumpered as CS then the position doesn't matter but a jumpered master must be at the end of the cable and a jumpered slave in the middle.
    Get that DVD drive jumpered as a slave plus both drives in the correct position on the IDE cable and your problems will be cured.

Quote Originally Posted by wayout44 View Post
    Totally wrong.

jfox00
    If both drives are jumpered as CS then the position doesn't matter but a jumpered master must be at the end of the cable and a jumpered slave in the middle.
    Get that DVD drive jumpered as a slave plus both drives in the correct position on the IDE cable and your problems will be cured.
    You may be right, however what about when you have an IDE cable that doesnt state the Master and slave on the connector or a single connector IDE cable?
    I have seen many computers with the master drive plugged into the "Slave" plag on the IDE cable working normally with the jumpers set to master. But what you say kinda makes sence.

Deffinatly try wayouts suggestion but Im not sure if that will fix the problem. Give it a try and let us know.
    Last edited by NimrodAUS; 10-16-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Quote Originally Posted by NimrodAUS View Post
    You may be right, however what about when you have an IDE cable that doesnt state the Master and slave on the connector or a single connector IDE cable?
    I have yet to see an IDE stating master/slave position but this has been has been the norm since IDE cables first came out which is before I started building PC's 14yrs ago which I do for a living.

Thanks for the info.
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Thanks everyone. The reason I had to use the master end of the IDE cable to connect to something other than the master IDE drive, was because of the layout in the mediapc computer. I could not connect the master end to the IDE and the slave to the DVD drive.

I'm going to have to try a few things and I'll post back with an update. I also tried installing PowerDVD, and the DVD playback actually did improve (no loud crackle) but there is still a slight screen flicker, and I can't boot off of the drive.

Then try with both jumpered to Cable Select and see how you go, I don't usually suggest this jumper position but you should be able to boot from the DVD and be sure that the DVD is the 1st boot device in your BIOS unless your BIOS supports letting you choose your boot device at start up.
    Last edited by wayout44; 10-17-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Thread Information