Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raid 0 across 4 HDD

Default Raid 0 across 4 HDD

Ok so how I understand RAID I have been reading about it but there is so little information on RAID 0 above 2 drives.

I am wondering if you set up a RAID 0 with 4 identical drives would it effectively up the speed from the 2 drives or would the read / write speed improvement be so little that it is a waste of time and money?

Thank you for your time!

Default Re: Raid 0 across 4 HDD

Four drive RAID 0 is about the speed of one 15K SAS drive. It is fast. However, lose one drive for any reason, you lose all your data. It is not worth the speed if losing your data will cause problems. If you do RAID 0, backup weekly.

Loading games will be seconds faster. Unless you do heavy storage IO work like video rendering, A/V post processing, it will not speed up processes that much.

The risk of losing one drive grows in RAID 0 as you add them. 4 drives increases failure rate by 80%. I only use RAID 0 for temporary files, and target of applications. Once a A/V process or Video rendering is done, it is quickly copied off to a RAID 1 or RAID 10 array for fault redundancy and protection.

So basically I should just a SAS drive and call it good? Could you RAID 0+1 on those drives for a fast yet secure drive? I use Autodesk 3ds and I also play games I am not proficient with 3ds but I am working on it I have a few years before I get out of the military and go to college for schooling but I enjoy learning it all on my free time.

I run a corporate network and have a highend workstation for CAD and A/V. I use a LSI Logic MegaRAID 8708EM2 controller at home with a pair of Seagate 146GB Savvio 2.5" SAS drives in RAID 1. I could do RAID 10. SAS RAID 10 is not SATA 0+1 or 1+0. SAS RAID 10 is RAID 1 pairs that are then striped together. I place one of the RAID 1 pairs on each controller channel. I can lose the entire channel or one drive per pair and stay up and running. The controller allows spare drives for fail over of RAID 1, 10, and 5.

Vista x64 Ultimate installs in 16 minutes. Photoshop CS4 does 20+ 10MP 15MB RAW to 8 MB JPG with three auto conversions a minute.

SiSoftware Sandra

Here are my benchmarks. Seagate 15K drives are 110 MB/s to 171 MB/s native.

Benchmark Results
    Drive Index : 104.84MB/s
    Results Interpretation : Higher index values are better.
    Random Access Time : 1ms
    Results Interpretation : Lower index values are better.

Windows Experience Index
    Current Drive : 5.9
    Results Interpretation : Higher index values are better.

Performance Test Status
    Run ID : LSI MegaRAID 8708EM2 146GB (RAID, NCQ)
    Platform Compliance : x64
    System Timer : 3.58MHz
    Operating System Disk Cache Used : Yes
    Use Overlapped I/O : Yes
    I/O Queue Depth : 4 request(s)
    Test File Size : 16GB
    File Fragments : 4
    Block Size : 1MB

Detailed Benchmark Results
    Buffered Read : 1.01GB/s
    Sequential Read : 119.73MB/s
    Random Read : 128.25MB/s
    Buffered Write : 679.29MB/s
    Sequential Write : 31.91MB/s
    Random Write : 31.21MB/s
    Random Access Time : 1ms

What are you running and how are you going to bring the array into the system? There are actually a lot of questions that should be answered first.

If you don't need a lot of space then you are better off going with a high quality SSD in many cases.

Let us know more about what you are using it for and how you are arranging them (Boot drive, applications drive, scratch drive).

I am a electrical engineer and senior network engineer with 27 years experience. SSD is an interesting solution but too young to use. They degrade in performance too fast. SAS are are 10+ generation SCSI drives. SAS has a track record for reliability and performance.

I looked at putting SSD drives in my workstation. Most prosumer grade SSD drives are much more expensive than SAS.

146 GB 15K.6 Seagate SAS drive : $180
    128 GB SSD Kingston V+ : $349

I can do RAID 1 SAS for $360 vs a single SSD. The cheap SSD drives usually are slow on write performance or have issues with degrading over months of use.

The increase in performance SSD over 15K SAS is 20-25%. The price is double for SSD over SAS. SAS can be defragged on a regular basis. They work with any SAS or SAS RAID controller. SSD drives can't use a cached controller to gain performance. You must disable the cache. You lose many of the advanced features in Vista and Windows 7 to use SSD drives.

SAS drives have a 5 year warranty. SSD are 1-3 years. SAS are used in most file servers. The server grade SSD are too expensive for users.

I would put my 8708EM2 SAS RAID 128 GB DDR667 cached controller and SAS RAID up against SSD for performance and reliability.

Maybe in 2-3 years SSD will work out all the issues. I rather go with technology that I know will work. For CAD workstations, I only install SAS RAID.

Is your goal performance or storage size?

I plan on using it for visual designs and gaming so I am kinda stuck in the middle I want something that is reliable and will read and write fast because currently....

--------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
    --------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read : 62.518 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 61.708 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 30.083 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 48.530 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB : 0.378 MB/s
    Random Write 4KB : 1.449 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB
    Date : 2009/11/11 16:26:15

No so great... But right now I am running a single drive

I am just trying to do my research before I purchase parts, as far as my system goes I am at...

Windows Vista 64bit

Intel Core i7 3GHz

6GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB

1TB internal SATA drive

I wish to double the ram put in another ATI Radeon 4890 and put in some fast access drives to have fast read writes to play games to make games. I know and understand that having a Gaming graphics card is not the best for this application but the game being smooth is more important to me than load speeds in 3ds for now.

What is your budget? Do you have a PCIe x8 or PCIe x16 slot available for a cached RAID controller? Some newer motherboards come with SAS controller on-board.

As far as the RAID controller I have a brand new computer I just built so it should have it but I will have to do some research on it but I do not think my motherboard has SAS of any kind honestly

As far as price I am not concerned about it to much I like my computers its my hobby so yea.

If it is just for a hobby and education. I would not worry about performance and do three drive configuration.

1.) OS
    2.) Application
    3.) target of application, paging

I do production projects that require performance and reliability.

If you want to spend money on performance, you can get a cache SAS RAID controller like the LSI Logic MegaRAID 9260-8i with battery for $600. It can support 16 SAS drives. Then 15K.7 SAS2 6 Gbps drives are $400 for 300 GB. LSI Logic has excellent support. I personally know many of their employees in support. They are great about resolving performance issues.

I would try doing a three drive configuration separating OS, application, and target on 7200 RPM SATA drives unless you have $1000-$2000 to spend.

SSD drives are still not that great of a solution. Look at the Runcore forum above. In 27 years, I never heard of Runcore. I would need much more information on them before supporting them. Seagate has been with me since the 1980s. In 1985, I bought 85MB SCSI-1 drives from Seagate. You also get excellent support from them. Check out the Runcore forum about their support.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information