Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Intel ICH and Gigabyte RAID in unison?

Default Intel ICH and Gigabyte RAID in unison?

Hi everyone. I have a GA-X48T-DQ6 motherboard and am currently running Raid 0 across 2 drives. Everythings ok but I am wondering how I might go about upgrading this system. If I ran raid 0 across the ICH controller with my program files on it and ran my OS in raid 0 across the gigabyte controller (total 4 HD's) would this work? Or am I wasting my time and should I just go and buy a proper raid controller? Thanks in advance.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Intel ICH and Gigabyte RAID in unison?

If you did want to use both in the manner you suggested, it would be best to have your OS on the Intel Ports. They are much faster

And yes, if you have the money to buy a real RAID card ($150-300) then it would be much faster than the Intel one as well.

Ideally, with just the onboard controllers, it would be best to have your OS and Programs on the Intel RAID, and then just use the Gigabyte one for Storage either in an array (RAID 1) or just normal IDE mode.

Once again Lsdmeasap, you rock!

I originally had it on the intel controller but read the gigbyte raid controller was faster so I changed it after one of my drives collapsed. I haven't done any formal tests but the gigabyte seems as good as the intel at least. I'm looking at some adaptec 5 series controllers and we'll see if I can't buy one soon. Cheers and thanks again.

Anytime!

Sorry about that, you may have read me saying that! I thought that at one time, forgetting about write back cache!

The Intel one is much faster once you enable write back cache, of course not as good as a real RAID Card though

"The Intel one is much faster once you enable write back cache".........at the risk of sounding silly....where exactly do I go to enable it? Is it through the bios or Intel storage manager. Thanks again Lsdmeasap.

Sorry, there is two ways to do this. Be sure you check both.

One is in device manager, right click the disk and choose properties and then go to the policies tab and check both of these if present >>

Then in Intel Matrix Storage Manager Advanced View you right click your array by name and choose Enable as shown below (Mine says Disable though, because it is already enabled) >>

Lsdmeasap.....once again your help has been invaluable. Much appreciated and I hope Santa gets you a tall blonde with great tities!!

So you all set then now? Hope so!

Merry Christmas to you as well, hope you get a large shiny SSD!

Thread Information