Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up raid

woh woh woh so let me get this straight. Windows will see an 80 gig HD? not two 40 gigs?

Correct...it unites the two..giving you a total. So a RAID is one big harddrive when in reality its two. You can do anything you want as if you were with a normal HDD. You can partition it as many times as you want. So yea you won't see 2 HD in windows you see one.
    - Damien

wow thats sweet! I cant wait till i get my new hard dries to set that up. Ok one last question does this setup use regular ide cables or do u need a different type of cable?

that's ausome!!!!!!! now if I had it set up with two partitions and formatted the first one. would it wipe out the second one? like it was in fact a regular drive?

Beefy Guest

Simple answer.. A hardware-based RAID 0 will make the drives involved function exactly the same as one physical drive would.

And yes, it uses normal IDE cables. All that is different is where you connect it (to the RAID IDE ports, not the standard IDE ports)

so basically from a fresh load it would install half an installation of windows on one drive and half on the other? This is assuming it is one big drive. Then again lets say that is the case. What happens if I pull out one of the dries upon boot up? :?:

LOL..what ^BeeFy^ said...hehe

MOCTEZNUMA...remember to get the same Brand,Model and size as your other drive. This way it will prevent conflicts the array might give you in having to different drives.
    - Damien

You'll have nothing to work with. ;)

Beefy Guest

In a RAID 0, don't think about it as installing half the OS on one drive and half of the other. It simply shares the space and merges it into one. That's also one of the not-so-nice features of RAID 0. If you lose any drive in the config, then everything is gone.

However, the way I see it, it's still better than one drive. ie: in your case, you've got two 40GB drives to make an 80GB. So let's compare having 2 40's to having one 80:

If one of the 40's failed, you lose 80GB of data.
    If the 80 failed, you lose 80GB of data.

Cost to replace one of the 40's is a lot less than replacing an 80GB HDD...

Hope this is making some kind of sense.

I dunno why you would want to do that RD but Windows will not boot. I never done that but thats what would happen. The only negative thing that a RAID might have is that if the array gets corrupted you lose everything. One hard goes down out of the two...say bye bye to eveything.

That half thing is only to give you an idea.
    - Damien

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information