Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up raid

Beefy Guest

I got no idea. From a very rough guess, you shouldn't need to spend any more than $100 US (a VERY rough guess there...)

EDIT: Don't know if this will help, but try here: http://tweaktown.pricegrabber.com/se...=27&Search.y=7

I was looking around and I found some Promis cards for around $80 US and they had some lower cost ones for around $45. I will make a link to the page I was looking at and it has link to the stores, its a bit long but you should be able to find something out of the lot.

http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buye...mplate=keyword

MY GOD........that's alot of money there!!!!!I was thinking maybe more in the range of 30-40. heh I'll look into it though.

Beefy Guest

Unless you really need / want a RAID setup, I'd hold off for a while. With so many things just around the corner, it could be worthwhile waiting a little bit and seeing what happens then.

Whats the difference between the differnt type of RAID like I have heard every 1 talk about RAID 0 but what about the other ones like 1 and 0+1? Are these faster than RAID 0?

The Raid_0 setup is geared toward performance with fast write and read speeds and only require two HD's on two seperate Channels. A Raid_1 is mainly for security i beleve it mirrors everything you save on one HDD to the other someone correct me if i am wrong. A RAID_0+1 is lil bit of both with performance and security but this one can get expensive since you will need 4HDD for this setup. It uses the two for a RAID_0 and another two for RAID_1.
    Again correct me if i am wrong but i think that is the idea.
    - Damien

Beefy Guest

Basics of RAID (very basic):

RAID 0 - basically turns multiple drives into one logical drive.

RAID 1 - Mirroring / duplexing. Uses multiple drives and creates mirror images of data on each drive. Useful for redundancy / safety.

RAID 2 / 3 / 4 - No longer used

RAID 5 - Uses three or more drives, stores information across the drives and also includes a 'parity checkbit' on one of them. Basically, you can lose a drive, replace it with a blank one and it can reconstruct the data.

Beefy why do i make everything so complicated...lol...
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Unless you really need / want a RAID setup, I'd hold off for a while. With so many things just around the corner, it could be worthwhile waiting a little bit and seeing what happens then.

that's true.......I mean between the NV30 and AMD's Hammer if the hammer is sucessful in terms of heat and speed and compatibility. I am DEFINITLY upgrading. Also doom 3.......I will definitly make a side note to buy a mobo with raid capabilities. :D

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco
    Beefy why do i make everything so complicated...lol...
    Hehehe.. I just couldn't be bothered putting in a big explanation.

I did forget RAID 0+1 though, which is normally four HDDs. Two of the drives use RAID 0 to basically make one logical drive, which is then mirrored onto the other two drives. Combines the best elements from both methods, although costs more (naturally, four drives instead of two)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information