Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Setting up raid

Beefy, I kinda knew what you were getting at, but I needed to make it clear that many Benchmarks are VERY representative of quality, capability, etc.

:thumb: :thumb:
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

ReSpAwN DeMoN

When it comes to RAIDing your drives together there are usually 2 common methods.

If you decide to go for RAID 0 then this will enable striping but remember this is without any parity which means this method will not be able to error check your data that will reside on your drives. If you wish for parity then you will have to configure your drives as RAID 5. The reason why striping is ideal for performance is that with this configuration it breaks up your data into equal pieces depending on how many drives you are using and stores each piece of data on each one of the hard drives so when it comes time for the user to recover the data it is then accessed simultaneously therefore you could say that the data recovery is practically doubled if you have RAID 0 a pair of drives.

RAID 1 is for mirroring mode which basically makes 2 copies of your data on each one of the drives. This is ideal in regards to data recovery in the case of one of your drives dying on you. For example if you are using a pair of 40GB drives which totals up to 80GB of storage you will only be able to using half of that which leaves the user with only 40GB of storage space to utilise.

I also learnt that the drives are required to be identical. Usually when I've seen people implement a RAID array they usually buy a pair of identical drives but I noticed that your drives are identical in size but not in brand name. It would be an idea to find out about that first. I think as long as they are identical in size then all should be well.

ReSpAwN DeMoN, there is a bit of configuring that goes into RAID but first you should ask yourself what sort of a configuration would you like to achieve by using RAID. Generally you'll find the following:

RAID 0 = Performance / Speed
    RAID 1 = Backing up / Recovery

Each method has its advantages and disadvantages depending on what the user wishes for. Also there are approximately a total of 10 RAID arrays to choose from but you find that most of them would generally suit servers.

Keep us posted about how you go with RAIDing your drives together.... :thumb:
    Without my other half in my life, where would I be - Absolutely nowhere

CASE: Antec Plusview 1000AMG || PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt || HSF: ThermalTake Copper Spark7+ || CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz (800Mhz) running @ 3.5Ghz || MOBO: Abit IC7-G (BIOS Rev: 16) || RAM: Corsair TWINX 512MB DDR (PC3200) || VIDEO: Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB || SOUND: Creative Audigy 2 Platinum || HDD: x2 Seagate Barracuda Serial V 120GB (RAID 0) || CD: Pioneer 16x40x 106S Slot DVD / LiteOn 52x24x52 CD-RW || OS: Windows XP Professional SP1

Beefy Guest

Nice post there dude, but we've basically covered all that already.. :) Didn't want to get into too much detail with parity bit checks and the like...

Hehe Beefy

I had a feeling that it was a bit much but it was my very first post in the TT forums so I think I went a little all out, soz guys.... :p

I would like to say that I think that the TT forums is one of the best ones I have ever seen. What can I say, its got it all.... :D

CASE: Antec Plusview 1000AMG || PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt || HSF: ThermalTake Copper Spark7+ || CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz (800Mhz) running @ 3.5Ghz || MOBO: Abit IC7-G (BIOS Rev: 16) || RAM: Corsair TWINX 512MB DDR (PC3200) || VIDEO: Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB || SOUND: Creative Audigy 2 Platinum || HDD: x2 Seagate Barracuda Serial V 120GB (RAID 0) || CD: Pioneer 16x40x 106S Slot DVD / LiteOn 52x24x52 CD-RW || OS: Windows XP Professional SP1

Long posts are good! They generally mean that the writer has something worth reading! And we can't have too many posters in that category! So stick around!
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Long posts are good! They generally mean that the writer has something worth reading!
    With me being an exception to the rule

nah- ;)

Thanx zeradul

I think I will definitely be sticking around on the TT forums. Love the forums and all you guys seem to be good blokes aswell with useful idea's and knowledge.

I'm kinda new to this so forgive for asking.

What if I have 3 60g hds, primary and the other 2 already has data in it, can I place them on the raid ide? Do I have to reformat? Can I use the onboard raid ide as a regular ide to connect the drives?

Thanks.

Beefy Guest

OK... firstly, the three drives will have to be formatted as a new single 'drive' when you create the RAID array. So you will lose all your data.

Secondly, Some RAID controllers do allow you to use IDE devices by themselves, where as some don't. Most of them restrict usage to hard drives only though, so you can't run a CD-ROM or anything on it.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information