Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expensive hdd

I was just looking at some hdd and I didnt even know that there were 10000 RPM hard drives out there. Anyway, I found an extremly expensive hdd out there for a whoping $1,479.97(US)!!
    This is a Seagate 181.6 GB hdd 68 Pin Ultra160 10000 RPM hdd. I must say that this is about what a pretty good store bought computer costs, and for that much money you could build yourself a monster of a comp. I was just curious and started wondering does anyone happen to have this hdd? Also, I'm sure some 1 has a 10000 RPM hdd, I would like to know how much you payed for it so I can just compare some things. Thnx all. :shoot3: :shoot2:

Was that SCSI HDD? Prolly was huh?
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco
    Was that SCSI HDD? Prolly was huh?
    68 pin Ultra 160 = SCSI

Concerning that drive... it was made for corporate use. Take about eight of them and run them in a RAID5 configuration and you have the makings of decent server setup that handles large database files and such.

If you're looking at SCSI drives, though, take a look at some of the other Seagate models around. They go as high as 15k RPM in some instances, and again are made for corporate use. For the enthusiast (even the hardcore gamer), it wouldn't really be of much benefit.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Beefy Guest

What Darth said. Some of those faster drives (IDE or SCSI) are also used a fair bit in video editing, as they have faster read / write capabilities, which is handy when recording / rendering video.

Thanks Darth...:)
    - Damien

Good call Beefy. I hadn't considered DV editing into the mix. That added speed would work wonders with a Firewire DV setup. :)

np Flaco. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Beefy Guest

They are sometimes called A/V drives..

*continues to spout useless information*

that's not a very good price for theat drive - I can get it for that much in cdn$$'s - although I'm not sure of the exact model

I bought 4x73GB Seagate SCSI U160 68pin drives in the spring for a dual Athlon server I was putting together - I think I paid in the mid-$500cdn/ea

hey beefy when is the event of the year film going to be done
    Mess with the Best,
    Die like the Rest
    There are worse things than Death, and I can do them All.
    Backup has arrived
    Stupid people do stupid things, Smart people outsmart each other

Beefy Guest

sometime this year.. obviously. :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information