Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can't enable S.M.A.R.T on win7

Default Can't enable S.M.A.R.T on win7

Hey ppl,

Im running Win7 prof x64, and for some reason i can't monitor my HDD's, i have it enabled in bios and i can use the WD lifeguard tools on my win xp x32 fine without a problem but, on win7 any HDD monitoring program can't find my HDD's. Am i missing something?

- Im running a RAID 0 setup on a GA-MA790GP-UD4H motherboard.

Default Re: Can't enable S.M.A.R.T on win7

It's a gigabyte problem maybe update to the latest bios and raid drivers
    GA-FXA990-UD3v4
    AMD FX-8320
    Kingston 2x4GB 1866 HyperX
    Gigabyte R6850C-1GB
    1x WD Blue 1TB / 1x SSHD 1TB Seagate
    Win7x64

Thx for the help m8 but, still can't see any SMART information after the Bios and raid driver update.....

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger here.
    You won't with that SCSI DISK Device. Not on that AMD chipset motherboard unless you set the SATA controller to IDE mode.

Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

Standards and implementation
    Many motherboards will display a warning message when a disk drive approaches failure. Although an industry standard among most major hard drive manufacturers,[8] there are some remaining issues and much proprietary "secret knowledge" held by individual manufacturers as to their specific approach. As a result, S.M.A.R.T. is not always implemented correctly on many computer platforms due to the absence of industry-wide software & hardware standards for S.M.A.R.T. data interchange.

From a legal perspective, the term "S.M.A.R.T." refers only to a signaling method between internal disk drive electromechanical sensors and the host computer thus a disk drive manufacturer could include a sensor for just one physical attribute and then advertise the product as S.M.A.R.T. compatible. For example, a drive manufacturer might claim to support S.M.A.R.T. but not include a temperature sensor, which the customer might reasonably expect to be present.

Some S.M.A.R.T.-enabled motherboards and related software may not communicate with certain S.M.A.R.T.-capable drives, depending on the type of interface. Few external drives connected via USB and Firewire correctly send S.M.A.R.T. data over those interfaces. With so many ways to connect a hard drive (e.g. SCSI, Fibre Channel, ATA, SATA, SAS, SSA) it's difficult to predict whether S.M.A.R.T. reports will function correctly.

Even on hard drives and interfaces that support it, S.M.A.R.T. data may not be reported correctly to the computer's operating system. Some disk controllers can duplicate all write operations on a secondary "backup" drive in real-time. This feature is known as "RAID mirroring". However, many programs which are designed to analyze changes in drive behavior and relay S.M.A.R.T. alerts to the operator do not function when a computer system is configured for RAID support, usually because under normal RAID array operational conditions, the computer may not be permitted to 'see' (or directly access) individual physical drives, but only logical volumes, by the RAID array subsystem.

On the Windows platform, many programs designed to monitor and report S.M.A.R.T. information will only function under an administrator account. At present S.M.A.R.T. is implemented individually by manufacturers, and while some aspects are standardized for compatibility, others are not.

One of the other fundamental problems with S.M.A.R.T is that it slows performance and for this reason it is disabled by default in many motherboard BIOSes
    Last edited by artdrivers; 02-13-2010 at 09:14 PM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan