Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HDD freezes

Rubicon1138 is offline Member

Default Re: HDD freezes

Voltage
    Attachment 2301

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Well looks like your power supply is OK. The only other thing is manual tests on the hard drive voltage connection, but I cannot go there due to safety issues and rules of the forum. By the way you have not stated your PS model yet.
    Have you had a chance to run the analysis and advice tool in SANDRA?? If so, did it say anything was wrong??? I am still concerned about the temp and now I see one voltage is a bit high at 1.92V on one of your cores, hope its just a bug in software. Have you run any hard drive utilities from the manufacturer at all. These utilities check the drive for bad sectors, and other problems. Here is a link to Seagates Seatools -->> SeaTools | Seagate
    Some tools even attempt to fix the drive, if you allow it. Install seatools and check the disk and report your results back.
    The -5 v and -12 v lines are not used by most modern motherboards so their readings are not important. Have a good evening, Max
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-14-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: sp
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

PS is Corsair TX750W. I did run a Seagate Diagnostic some time ago and it found 1 error on the Seagate HDD that I told you was giving me trouble. I did not fix the error for fear of it being rebricked. I am also aware of WD diagnostic for the IDE HDD, I tried it but it stalled/froze. Although I did make the attempt with a flash drive. I ran the SANDRA diagnostic and it seems I have quite a few issues. I don't how to correct them but I could start with the first issue at hand.
    "Computer Overview
    Analysing...
    Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
    Finished Successfully : Yes"
    For instance how would I fix that?

BTW where do you see the 1.92V reading that you are talking about? I don't see it.
    Last edited by Rubicon1138; 03-14-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
    This is just a reminder that you are not using a certain type of memory that sandra thinks you should use. This is not important, because you are using memory that works and passes memtest correct? Another way of looking at it is some memory is reccommended but most will work you see?
    Speedfans Vcore is 1.94 v but it is probably not a good reading unless sandra agrees with it then I would investigate it
    Max
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-15-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: sp
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

These are some other errors:
    Processors
    Analysing...
    Tip 210 : CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] : Mainboard supports faster CPUs, so the CPU can be upgraded when needed.
    Notice 224 : CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
    Tip 210 : CPU 2 [Processor 0, Core 1, Thread 0] : Mainboard supports faster CPUs, so the CPU can be upgraded when needed.
    Notice 224 : CPU 2 [Processor 0, Core 1, Thread 0] : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
    Finished Successfully : Yes

Buses and Devices
    Analysing...
    Error : PCIe : No devices found. : No devices found.

Power Management
    Analysing...
    Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.

Displays and Display Adapters
    Analysing...
    Tip 314 : Video Adapter : Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (8 SP, Integrated Graphics) : Video BIOS is too old. Check for an update.
    Warning 2544 : Video Adapter : Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (8 SP, Integrated Graphics) : System/Video shared memory greatly reduces performance. Use external video card.
    Tip 2221 : Video Adapter : Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (8 SP, Integrated Graphics) : Driver is not certified.
    Tip 319 : Video Adapter : Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (8 SP, Integrated Graphics) : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz is recommended. Increase it if possible.
    Warning 300 : Monitor/Panel : Generic PnP Monitor : Unknown monitor. Install the driver for the monitor (or similar model) for optimum performance.

Physical Disks
    Analysing...
    Warning 3103 : ST3160318AS (160GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 8MB Cache) (D:) (G:) (I:) : Acoustic Management enabled. Peformance may be impaired.

Audio Devices
    Analysing...
    Warning 710 : Wave Input Devices (Recording) : Microphone (2- Microsoft LifeCh : Driver may be obsolete. Check that it is the latest version.
    Tip 708 : Wave Input Devices (Recording) : Microphone (2- Microsoft LifeCh : Mono sound devices are obsolete. Use a Stereo sound device for better sound experience.
    Warning 710 : Wave Output Devices (Playback) : Speakers (2- Microsoft LifeChat : Driver may be obsolete. Check that it is the latest version.
    Warning 710 : MIDI Output Devices (Playback) : Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth : Driver may be obsolete. Check that it is the latest version.
    Warning 710 : Mixer Devices (Mixing) : Speakers (2- Microsoft LifeChat : Driver may be obsolete. Check that it is the latest version.
    Warning 710 : Mixer Devices (Mixing) : Microphone (2- Microsoft LifeCh : Driver may be obsolete. Check that it is the latest version.

Processes
    Analysing...
    Tip 1601 : explorer.exe (Windows Explorer) : Program consumes a large amount of memory.
    Warning : WmiPrvSE.exe (WMI Provider Host) : Process no longer exists!

DirectX
    Analysing...
    Tip 2221 : Direct3D 9 Devices : Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (\\.\DISPLAY1) : Driver is not certified.
    Warning 2544 : Direct3D 10 Devices : Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (\\.\DISPLAY1) : System/Video shared memory greatly reduces performance. Use external video card.
    Warning 2544 : Direct3D 11 Devices : Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (\\.\DISPLAY1) : System/Video shared memory greatly reduces performance. Use external video card.

It seems that you acustic managment is simply a way to keep the noise down and it may slow down drive performance
    googling acustic managment gives me this ...silentpcreview.com | View topic - Acoustic Management nothing to worry about here......One quick question have you checked to see if you have a warranty on your drives that will replace them for free????
    Max
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-16-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: sp

Reading that thread has motivated me to try UBCD and see if it can detect anything faulty on that drive. I haven't checked to see if there are any warranties on the drives but I have to check. I really want to do that as a last resort. Does SANDRA diagnose and repair the errors I listed? I was wondering if you know about the significance of the other errors listed. I have reconnected the drive(s) using win 7 and this time the drives don't freeze the computer but the drivers still don't work etc. TIA.

Reading that thread has motivated me to try UBCD and see if it can detect anything faulty on that drive. I haven't checked to see if there are any warranties on the drives but I have to check. I really want to do that as a last resort. Does SANDRA diagnose and repair the errors I listed? I was wondering if you know about the significance of the other errors listed. I have reconnected the drive(s) using win 7 and this time the drives don't freeze the computer but the drivers still don't work etc. TIA.
    Re: the warranty issue - I have seen threads discussing problems with certain Seagate hard drives including this forum see this link http://forums.tweaktown.com/f17/warn...-reboot-30120/ I do not know if your drive is one of the drives in question. So you may need to check the website with your specs and see if its listed. However if you have not already realized this-SOME hard drives are NOT fixed by the updated firmware. here is another Seagate fixes 7200.11 drives--except when it doesn't | Crave - CNET SANDRA does not fix those problems and the other problems are not significant.
    P.S. Just had a light bulb go off in my head. I had a drive freeze or just stop spinning you know and the whole system just stopped until force reboot with power. Then I tried CHKDSK /F at the command prompt and it fixed the problem, but I lost some data. If you try this please back up any important files or data. You can also go to my computer and right click on drive and choose properties. Click the tools tab and then "check now" with the "automatically fix" option checked,
    Max
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-18-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: add info

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } --> </style>

You can connect your external hard disk with another usb port and then you can check that hard drive if then your problem not solve then the you can reinstall your operating system because there are some files missing for operating system and then you can check your external hard disk.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information