Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hard drive installed, problems

Question New hard drive installed, problems

Hi,
    Today i have installed my new hard drive using it for the primary with a fresh install of windows 7.
    Now the problem is i cant access or use my 2nd hard drive in computer managment/disk managment is
    show as File System RAW not NFTS. I have tried right clicking it and format from start/computer--right click E:/<<<--2nd hdd but it fails. In device manamger both HDD are present and working correctly, i'm sure this is a simple fix.

Any solutions would be great,

Thank's
    Jack
    Last edited by Flamez; 04-09-2010 at 03:59 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: New hard drive installed, problems

Did you try safe mode?

You may need to use a partition tool such as Paragon partition manager, or Easus has a good freeware one.

Have you rebooted? Just checking :) Did you right click it, go to properties, and check that it is not marked "Read Only" as the error says?

You could also try doing it by the command line:

format E: /fs:NTFS /X

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Did you try safe mode?

You may need to use a partition tool such as Paragon partition manager, or Easus has a good freeware one.

Have you rebooted? Just checking :) Did you right click it, go to properties, and check that it is not marked "Read Only" as the error says?

You could also try doing it by the command line:

format E: /fs:NTFS /X
    Okay i dont even know what partion does...
    Ive tried rebooting even tried formating it with computer managment/disk managment after about an hour at 100% it said fail to format disk..

arrghhh

What do you mean you don't know what partition does? I do not understand what confused you?

Try the Easus program I linked above, or try the Command line I posted, it is the correct command for your drive as you have it shown in the image above. The spaces are needed, so copy/paste if you are unsure.

*Edit*
    Ahh, that may be the problem! Sorry, you need to create a partion before you can format it, that is why the disk management is failing.

Right click the disk (On the left, by the name of the disk -Grey box left side) and choose initialize, or right click the white raw part of the disk and choose create. Then create a full size NTFS Partition
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-08-2010 at 05:21 PM.

What do you mean you don't know what partition does? I do not understand what confused you?

Try the Easus program I linked above, or try the Command line I posted, it is the correct command for your drive as you have it shown in the image above. The spaces are needed, so copy/paste if you are unsure.

*Edit*
    Ahh, that may be the problem! Sorry, you need to create a partion before you can format it, that is why the disk management is failing.

Right click the disk (On the left, by the name of the disk -Grey box left side) and choose initialize, or right click the white raw part of the disk and choose create. Then create a full size NTFS Partition
    Okay good idea!!! um one thing i can't see those options o.O
    Sorry to bother you again :\ i hope i havent ruined anything. it seems corrupt
    Last edited by Flamez; 04-08-2010 at 05:51 PM.

OK, sorry

What about this, I think clicking the E in the image below will give the same options you show, but you should have different options if you click the place on the left side I also point to. You should see initialize, do that.

If that does not work you may need to try shrinking it, try shrinking it by a small amount (Choose any amount it does not matter you can change later). Then after the shrink see if it will let you create or format.

If that does not help you are going to have to use the command line option I posted above, if you need help doing that let us know. Or you can install the program Easus I linked above, this will let you create and format, or delete then create and format. It is easy to use and you will recognize everything in it as it is similar to disk management.

It is not ruined or corrupt, even if it was corrupt it would not matter because it is RAW so no partition tables are made yet that is why you can't format

OK, sorry

What about this, I think clicking the E in the image below will give the same options you show, but you should have different options if you click the place on the left side I also point to. You should see initialize, do that.

If that does not work you may need to try shrinking it, try shrinking it by a small amount (Choose any amount it does not matter you can change later). Then after the shrink see if it will let you create or format.

If that does not help you are going to have to use the command line option I posted above, if you need help doing that let us know. Or you can install the program Easus I linked above, this will let you create and format, or delete then create and format. It is easy to use and you will recognize everything in it as it is similar to disk management.

It is not ruined or corrupt, even if it was corrupt it would not matter because it is RAW so no partition tables are made yet that is why you can't format
    To Lsdmeasap,

Let's see how i go with your solutions i'll post back soon.
    *Edit*
    Just showing you what options were there for refrence, also i tried installing Easus but id didnt install on Error: 64 Bit OS cannot install setup, i tried gogle for 64-bit versions but same thing. Anyway

Thank you

Jack.

Update Please Look ---> all i did was deleted the Volume and selected the New Simple Volume :)
    Last edited by Flamez; 04-08-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Updated

Your last image still shows the drive as RAW. The image above that shows "unallocated" (which is good). Were you able to create a partition and format as NTFS?

Lsdmeasap

Excellent your method of deleting the volume worked like a cham i was able to create a new system volume and format it to NTFS its all working now! :)

Thank's for your help again.

Kind regards, Jack

Nice to see you got this!

Odd Easus did not install for you, I have used it on X64 before?

Anyway, you got it so all is well now!

Post back anytime if you have any other problems or questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information