Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: IBM vs. WD(8mbcache) ??

On IBM's site there is a file named d120gxp_com.pdf that gives a compatibility summary of the deskstar 120. Look at the specific notes at the end of the summary, it may help you find the reason.

ata 133 gives no boost to performance at all
    the average burst is 85 so going from 100 to 133 does nothing for u in that respect the only thing 133 does for you is allow you to use the new generation of extremely large hard drives
    there is a reason that maxtor is the only HDD manufacturer to adopt the ata 133 standard

I think seagate has a 133 drive ready, but if your buying at the moment the WD 8MB buffer is still the best by far.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

I guess I've just been lucky. I've probably used close to a hundred hds over the years (built many boxes for friends, family, co-workers). I have used Toshiba, Fujuitsu, Samsung, Conner, Quantum, IBM, WD, Maxtor, Seagate, etc.. I have had only 4 drives die. 1 Maxtor, 1 WD, 1 Seagate (the only one under warranty), and 1 cheapo brand that was only around for a couple of years (it had letters for a name J-something I think). The newest, huge drives are going to be trouble for everybody for a while. I think that if you run a cool box, hooked up to a ups, any major brand has as much chance of surviving as any other.

I have had some 15% of the drives installed die within the first 3 years since they were installed. If they survived them they usually continued to work without any problems until disposed.

You also have to taking other factors like transport, workload and dust.
    If dust gets in though, it reflects on bad design.

The disks have an airtight seal. If it wears out humidity will usually destroy the disk. If dust enters that is a major flaw in design.

Some may prefer a faster disk. If you compare the lost Mb to a faster disk it is cheaper to buy a larger disk and use larger partitions. Faster disks have less Mb per $ and that is the price you pay for the speed. Disk speed effects the overall performance of your system. But ... there are always the perfectionists ;)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information