Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can I run an SSD (OS ) in AHCI and 2 hdds in RAID0 for data in the same system?

Default Can I run an SSD (OS ) in AHCI and 2 hdds in RAID0 for data in the same system?

Can I run an SSD (OS ) in AHCI and 2 hdds in RAID0 for data in the same system?

I have an ASRock 880GMH/USB3 that supports RAID, a Kingston SSD 128GB for the OS with mobo SATA controller set to AHCI so I have trim support.

I'd like to RAID 0 my 2 Seagate 7200.12s for data storage. that possible?

Cheers,
    World

Default Re: Can I run an SSD (OS ) in AHCI and 2 hdds in RAID0 for data in the same system?

I can't see why not. What exactly are you worried about?

Default Re: Can I run an SSD (OS ) in AHCI and 2 hdds in RAID0 for data in the same system?

all I have in my BIOS is.....

Onboard SATA controller = enabled or disabled
    then in a sub grouping my choices are IDE/SATA, RAID or AHCI. What with the SSD, it's currently set to AHCI. I have no secondary controller onboard. Just 5 SATA II ports

Ahh... I see. That board just uses the single controller on the AMD SB710. It's an either/or situation. You can have AHCI or RAID.

You do have another option. It's perhaps your only realistic option considering that you've enabled AHCI already, and disabling it now (to get RAID) would prevent you from booting into your current Windows install.

TRIM support on single SSD/RAID0 array using AMD SB710? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

There is also a link in that thread to the wikipedia article describing pros and cons to software vs hardware RAID.

Thumbs up Re: Can I run an SSD (OS ) in AHCI and 2 hdds in RAID0 for data in the same system?

Hey t/a, thanks much for the info. very interesting reads. In the end, I've decided to go with this add on card.........

Newegg.com - VANTEC 4+1 SATA II 300 & PATA PCI-E Combo Model UGT-IS100R

Got it for $26 and change from amazon w/ free shipping.

That way I can RAID0 the 2 x Seagate 7200.12's on the card and transfer them in the event of a mainboard switch. SSD/OS will remain on the mainboard controller

Cheers,
    World

Just to update. Here's a shot of the two Seagate 7200.12's 500GB in a RAID 0 on the little Vantec / JMicron JBM363 based PCI-E 1x controller. Not bad when you consider PCI-E 1x max throughput is 2.5/GBps. This is sweet little card that works great in Win 7.

Thread Information