Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: SSD Boot Time

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Default SSD Boot Time

I have lost my infatuation with my SATA II SSD drive. When I do an "almost" accurate check of the Power On to W7 Logon Screen for the three systems in my signature below I don't see any real benefit. The times are Q9550 ~ 38 seconds, 2600K ~ 33 seconds and E8500 ~ 33 seconds. All three systems spend ~ 15 of the 30+ seconds doing the BIOS stuff. I use Perfect Disk Pro 11 to defrag the Raptors. I used the Boot Time defrag several times over the last couple weeks. It is supposed to improve W7 boot time by placing the boot files in the proper order. When compared to the SSD boot times it looks like it works.

I have checked the SSD drive several times since I installed it several months ago using the AS SSD Benchmarking Tool and the score is always +/- 429. The system is setup using AHCI and I have made all the recommended tweaks to keep W7 writes to the SSD to a minimum. Must be working since SSD Life still reports 100% availability. My question - is the 33 seconds I'm getting to do a cold boot to the W7 logon screen about normal for a system with a SATA II SSD drive or have I got something screwed up?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: SSD Boot Time

For my system, from a cold boot:
    time to end of AHCI detection: 14 seconds
    time to desktop from end of AHCI detection: 21 seconds
    The total 35 second start up time includes an additional 1 - 2 seconds because my boot order is floppy, optical drive, and finally hard drive.
    This semi paranoid setup allows me to possibly blind-flash my system if needed.

I never did get around to implementing BlackVipers "safe" recommendations to minimize any/all unneeded windows services.
    Check out Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations | www.blackviper.com if you haven't disabled or changed win7 sp1 start up services and/or programs.

My system bypasses the windows logon screen.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

So... +/- 33 seconds from power on to W7 Logon is in the ball park for an SSD II equiped machine. I was really surprised to see that the "old" Raptors turned with the Perfect Disk Boot Time defrag is almost the same as the SSD. As soon as the bugs are worked out on the new SATA III version of the super fast SandForce SF2281 controller I'll have to try one on the 2600K system and see if it puts the magic back in the SSD world. I see that Mushkin has finally deceided that the AndForce controller problems are resolved and their drives are becoming available. Now all I need is a fire sale!

Thanks for the link to Black Viper's Website. I'll give the "safe" approach a try. I have enough problems dealing with all the Event Log Errors that W7 makes come and go without adding a whole new level of issues.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You can try a test where win7's System Configuration is set to Diagnostic Startup to see if loading only basic devices and services speeds up the boot time. After running this test, you must set the startup mode back to the default Normal Startup mode. This will enable every service and program in startup list. On my system cCleaner/Tools/Startup shows that I have 12 entries that I have disabled. After resetting System Configuration to Normal Startup and booting, I must use cCleaner to manually disable the 12 entries and reboot.

I recently had to replace my dead IDE optical drive with a new sata optical drive and didn't notice an increase in bootup time.

Check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post383199, post 44 for my ssd/hdd benchmark results, where one of my 4K aligned hdd drives had a 22% higher benchmark score than my other drives where none of the partitions were 4K aligned. All of my hard drives are WD Caviar Black models.

BTW, my 60GB ssd is only using 50% of its capacity.
    Happy testing, let us know if your boot times improve with the diagnostic mode test.

**edit**
    AS SSD will show XXXX - OK in the upper left corner in green if your drive is 4K aligned, where XXXX is the offset of the first partition.
    If your drive isn't 4K aligned, this entry will be red. For maximum performance, all partitions must be 4K aligned on each drive.

SSD Boot Time-win7-diagnostic-startup-screen-png
    Last edited by profJim; 07-21-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added AS SSD info
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

In BIOS, disable what you don't use and keep the first (or perhaps the only) boot device as your SSD, if there is a Quick Boot feature, enable it.
    In Windows disable all the unnecessary services or softwares from startup and use No GUI boot.

All of the partitions on all of my systems are 4K aligned. As usual, if there is a problem I stumble into it, many months ago when Paragon released the free trial of the PAT program I encountered the bug that caused one partition on one system to remain unaligned. Paragon was great, within a few days they had a fix and sent me the revised version of the then free program. I did not notice any real world dramatic improvement in the 500, 640 or 750 GB WD Black Drives that I converted to 4K alignment but then I did not run any benchmark programs. The SSD drive was created from one of the aligned boot partitions using Acronis - it worked just fine with no issues.

Like I said above, I have done all the tricks to get writes off the SSD drive including moving all the Event Logs. Probably overkill and probably causes the system to slow down slightly since all of the stuff was moved to a 640 GB WD Black drive.

Yes, all on-board controllers that are not being used are and have been disabled in the BIOS's.

I tried the "No GUI Boot" setting on four systems. I could not measure any improvement in boot times on the 2600K, Q9550 and E8500 systems. I did measure a ~3 second improvement in an old Asus P5B Deluxe/Pentium 640 running at the stock 3.2 GHz. I still use this system to heat the basement!

I think we have gotten a little off the original subject. I am OK with a ~ 33 second cold boot to W7 logon screen on a system equiped with a SATA II SSD boot drive - unless someone has done some magic that makes it a lot faster. When you consider that half of the start up time is the BIOS there really is not much left to improve.

Thanks all for the input, it's off to the SATA III store now that it looks like SandForce has gotten the bug(s) out of their latest controller?
    Last edited by Ken429; 07-24-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    You can try a test where win7's System Configuration is set to Diagnostic Startup to see if loading only basic devices and services speeds up the boot time. After running this test, you must set the startup mode back to the default Normal Startup mode. This will enable every service and program in startup list. On my system cCleaner/Tools/Startup shows that I have 12 entries that I have disabled. After resetting System Configuration to Normal Startup and booting, I must use cCleaner to manually disable the 12 entries and reboot.

I recently had to replace my dead IDE optical drive with a new sata optical drive and didn't notice an increase in bootup time.

Check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post383199, post 44 for my ssd/hdd benchmark results, where one of my 4K aligned hdd drives had a 22% higher benchmark score than my other drives where none of the partitions were 4K aligned. All of my hard drives are WD Caviar Black models.

BTW, my 60GB ssd is only using 50% of its capacity.
    Happy testing, let us know if your boot times improve with the diagnostic mode test.

**edit**
    AS SSD will show XXXX - OK in the upper left corner in green if your drive is 4K aligned, where XXXX is the offset of the first partition.
    If your drive isn't 4K aligned, this entry will be red. For maximum performance, all partitions must be 4K aligned on each drive.

SSD Boot Time-win7-diagnostic-startup-screen-png
    hey, thanks for sharing! Itís very useful!

Just a follow up to this thread, I finally installed a Mushkin Enhanced Deluxe 120 GB SATA III SSD and the boot time for the Asus P8Z68-V Pro/2600K system improved "slightly". The Asus Splash screen still takes ~14-5 Seconds to appear but Windows 7 gets to the Logon screen in another ~14 seconds. So... the SATA III SSD did cut ~5 seconds or so from the power on to logon screen. It actually is much better since the 2600K system had slowed down to a ~38 second power on to the logon screen using the 300 GB Raptor. I have made a bunch of changes to the system since I originally posted but probably the most significant was the upgrade to Perfect Disk 12 which at least based on some reviews causes the system to boot 2-3 seconds slower. I have also stumbled into a Perfect Disk/Windows Home Server 2011 issue that causes PD to hang when doing a manual defrag of the boot drive when the WHS Connector software is installed. So... the SSD boot gets around that problem since PD does not defrag SSD's.

My Win 7 x64 times from pressing the power button to being able to click on a program:

when boot drive was a WD 1Tb caviar Black SATA II- 30 seconds
    when boot drive was an OCZ Agility 2 120Gb SATA II- 15 seconds
    my boot drive is now a Kingston HyperX 120Gb SATA III- 9 seconds

Sam

Thread Information