Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Enabling RAID after OS installation

Default Enabling RAID after OS installation

Is it possible to enable RAID after OS installation?

Specifics:
    Windows 7
    Intel i5
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

Whenever I try to change the BIOS SATA setting from AHCI to RAID, the system won't boot.

I have seen this:

Originally Posted by Acebmxer
    You need to make this setting before you install windows. If you try to switch after windows is installed you will get the bsod like you are.
    You will need to make these changes. Set every thing to its default setting. (the way you installed windows). Make these registry changes, Then install the drivers and then reboot.
    Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pciide\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV\Start
    This is for only windows vista/7

Is this worth a try? Too scary?

Thanks and cheers!

Default Re: Enabling RAID after OS installation

Yes it's possible, I did it a while back but I don't remember how I did it. I think I made the registry setting, rebooted changed it to raid in bios then rebooted. I'll try to find out what I did exactly for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Yes it's possible, I did it a while back but I don't remember how I did it. I think I made the registry setting, rebooted changed it to raid in bios then rebooted. I'll try to find out what I did exactly for you.
    That would be great! Thanks! But don't worry too much about it, it's not very important, in the larger scheme of things. The computer is working, so I'm past the screaming stage.

Cheers!

AH! here it is... I knew I had written it down some where.

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Thanks for that info PJ. Just ran it and says all my disk partitions are already optimally aligned. lol

Just changed my mode from AHCI to Raid without Reinstalling using regedit. Navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV making note of start reg_dword (in right hand pane) in case I wanted to change it back and set it to 0 (zero). Rebooted went into bios and set it to raid, rebooted and let the drivers install, rebooted and made sure SSD was 1st boot device, Rebooted and installed Intel RST drivers. Ran ATTO but nothing really changed. One advantage I supposed is that is Raid ready now. lol
    BTW I did this on a single SSD drive....
    Last edited by Conners; 09-24-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Extra info...

FIXED IT! Sorry for shouting. It was an Intel problem. A recent update to their chipset solved the issue. The update is available here:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets& ProductLine=Desktop+Chipsets&ProductProduct=Intel® +6+Series+Chipset&ProdId=3301&LineId=127&FamilyId= 40

This is for Series 6, which I have.

So to fix it, out of the box, I would have needed to implement a Windows 7 fix from here:
    Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"
    This does exactly what you suggested, but can do it automatically.

And then the Intel Chipset update from above.

All works fine now!

Thanks!

Glad you resolved your problem.

Yes, me too. And your guidance was right on the money. I just needed that one more part. When I started thinking about it, it occurred to me that the RAID piece of it was an Intel product, so I searched for chipset updates. Voila!

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information