Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Best SSD for my application

psient1 is offline Junior Member

Question Best SSD for my application

Hi all:

Check out the specs of my intended workstation build. I'm using SWrks 2013 premium and BOBCAD,

I am going to put WIN 8.1 pro 64bit on the SSD as a boot disk. I was thinking I'd need over 250 GIGS as I'd use the space remaining after the WIN install as cache.

I need some personal recommendations for the brand & model number/capacity/designation (e.g., SATA 6.0) please. Today I'm gonna go ahead and buy the memory and 4 1T HDDs. IF anyone has a reseller they favor pass that along too. I normally buy all my internals @ newegg.com. I've been buying from them since they had a brick and mortar op in SoCal (1995?). However, I am open to the community's suggestions and recs.

Any help will be an indebtment from me to you.

So far TT has been stellar in the member's openness and help. I gotta save my money now that I'm retired.

Best and like it or not health exchanges open today. It's gonna save my family over 900 bucks PER MONTH. I have to buy my own. I was an adjunct professor for over 12 years and received no healthcare if I didn't buy it. So I for one am glad to start working on this problem so many have.

Oh by the way, I get a small pension (under 900 per month) from my work as a post secondary educator (doctorate). Because I was a professor and earned, yes earned a pension, California takes away 1/2 YES 1/2 of my social security. I worked for 19 years paying into SS . . . since I was 18 . . . and I'll get less than 500 bucks for my Social Security. Thanks to all who voted for that!

Best.

psient
    Last edited by psient1; 09-30-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
    New build, Mainstream computing SOHO:

Motherboard- ASUS Z87-Deluxe
    CPU- Haswell i7 4770 3.4GHZ (no overclock)
    Cooling- Noctua NH-L12
    Graphics Card- Nvidia QUADRO 4000K
    Memory- 32 gigs GSkill ddr3 2400
    HDD- 4 Western Digital Black 1TB drives @ raid 10
    SSD- 1 Samsung 850 PRO 256gig
    USB 3.0 add-on card - Sedna 2 internal, 2 external
    USB 3.0 20 pin adapter - Sedna
    Sound- MB
    Sedna internal Card Reader
    ASUS EXII Thunderbolt card (dual)
    Optical Discs - 1 LG Blu-Ray burner and 1 ASUS Blu-Ray burner
    Case- Lian Li PC 9F
    PS- Corsair HX-750

OS- Win 8.1 Pro 64bit upgradable to 8.1
    Software

SW, BobCad, CS6 Master Suite, Office 2013

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Best SSD for my application

I am going to put WIN 8.1 pro 64bit on the SSD as a boot disk. I was thinking I'd need over 250 GIGS as I'd use the space remaining after the WIN install as cache.
    Define exactly how and what the cache will be used for.
    Your boot partition should have at least 20% - 30% of unused free space at all times.
    For optimal ssd life and performance, my new 256GB Samsung 840 Pro ssd has 35% of the ssd's total capacity for over provisioning space. This OP space is unallocated space at the end of the ssd.

The new Samsung 840 EVO ssd's are about 20% less expensive than the Samsung 840 Pro models, but the EVO's long term TLC Nand endurance is questioned by many ssd reviewers. It's rumored the Samsung will shortly offer their Rapid ssd cache software for the 840 Pro models. Plextor, Sandisk and a few other ssd vendors offer some top tier models that are comparable to the Samsung 840 Pro models. I'm not a fan of OCZ ssd's.

98% of my computer related purchases are from Newegg.
    I've had a few issues in the past 7 years and each time Newegg's customer service was excellent!

You should investigate virtual ram disk software which lets you set aside a fix amount of memory that you can use as high speed "disk" access for Temp folders and work areas for some applications. Some newer motherboard models include this software.
    Check out High-Speed RAM Disk | Raxco Software for more information.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

psient1 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Best SSD for my application

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Define exactly how and what the cache will be used for.
    I need cache for my CADCAM and VIDEO EDITING (i.e., Solidworks, BOBCAD, Adobe CS6 Master suite)

Your boot partition should have at least 20% - 30% of unused free space at all times.
    For optimal ssd life and performance, my new 256GB Samsung 840 Pro ssd has 35% of the ssd's total capacity for over provisioning space. This OP space is unallocated space at the end of the ssd.
    Thanks profJim. If I went with a larger drive would there be a default capacity for 'over provisioning space' (can't tell if this is jargon or not so enclosed in single quotes)? That is to say if I used a 512? GB drive would it automatically select the amount left over for cache?

The new Samsung 840 EVO ssd's are about 20% less expensive than the Samsung 840 Pro models, but the EVO's long term TLC Nand endurance is questioned by many ssd reviewers. It's rumored the Samsung will shortly offer their Rapid ssd cache software for the 840 Pro models. Plextor, Sandisk and a few other ssd vendors offer some top tier models that are comparable to the Samsung 840 Pro models. I'm not a fan of OCZ ssd's.
    I don't think I'll get a hybrid but haven't really researched this.

98% of my computer related purchases are from Newegg.
    I've had a few issues in the past 7 years and each time Newegg's customer service was excellent!
    No argument there

You should investigate virtual ram disk software which lets you set aside a fix amount of memory that you can use as high speed "disk" access for Temp folders and work areas for some applications. Some newer motherboard models include this software.
    Check out High-Speed RAM Disk | Raxco Software for more information.
    So if I'm doing the SSD install I should look into this software additionally? I just got a response on the ASUS forum that verified my MB will accommodate a 32gig kit. I assume that some of this will not be used no matter what computing I do in my shop. I really don't know how intense Solidworks or BOBCAD is in terms of memory usage. I have an excellent graphics card and it conforms with Solidworks' certified list. I know that on my current machine CS4 is very slow. I imagine that CS6 with it's native 64bit coding will help alot given the hardware of the new system . . . any thoughts from you guys?

Thanks again!

psient
    New build, Mainstream computing SOHO:

Motherboard- ASUS Z87-Deluxe
    CPU- Haswell i7 4770 3.4GHZ (no overclock)
    Cooling- Noctua NH-L12
    Graphics Card- Nvidia QUADRO 4000K
    Memory- 32 gigs GSkill ddr3 2400
    HDD- 4 Western Digital Black 1TB drives @ raid 10
    SSD- 1 Samsung 850 PRO 256gig
    USB 3.0 add-on card - Sedna 2 internal, 2 external
    USB 3.0 20 pin adapter - Sedna
    Sound- MB
    Sedna internal Card Reader
    ASUS EXII Thunderbolt card (dual)
    Optical Discs - 1 LG Blu-Ray burner and 1 ASUS Blu-Ray burner
    Case- Lian Li PC 9F