Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raid Issues

I can't remember them all off hand as the computer is not in front of me. I remember that I chose a mirrored array, selected one of the harddrives as the boot (the other shows up as hidden) and then duplicated the drives. Then I did the fdisk and the format. I'll look tonight and post the exact options tomorrow.

Thanks

and btw why did you choose mirroring over stripping?

OH! you know what. YOu may have chosen the wrong drive to boot up with... if you have the option to "call" a specific drive the HDD in the RAID bios (ie, you choose one of the drives to be the one written to and the one called HDD1 in the BIOS) you may have chosen the wrong drive. The RAID controller will deem one of the drives the master in a mirroring array and the other the backup (terms not exact, used here for understanding sake) the master gets written to and the backup gets doubled to by the controller, not windows. So the controller will say you can only write to one, the master. If you choose the wrong drive in the options, it may have screwed you over. Try rebuilding the array...

I had origianlly chosen striping, but I thought that's where my problem was. With the stripe, my HD becomes a 160 but my MB only supports a 120. Still, it seemed to work as far as fdisk and format goes. I will look into the boot hard drive settings with the raid and the bios and let you know. I appreciate the help.

I have finally gotten my reply back from SOYO support. They said that to use the Raid, both hard drives need to be set to master. I'll be giving that a try.

When using two drives in any RAID configuration they must be the master of each RAID IDE chanel so if you have them master and slave on one chanel then that's ya prob. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Wiggo, you are correct. I did some different configs last night and found that once both drives were set as a Master on their own individual channel, and when I cleared the CMOS (to set everything back to default) the RAID worked. I guess I've been spoiled building multiple terabyte Arrays with Compaq servers... they make it too easy.

I have not completely loaded XP yet, but when I do, I'll post a reply with the overall performance.

I want to thank all of you who replied with suggestions, most of all, JediAgent. Who seemed to go well out of his way to get my system up and running.

Thanks,

Jank

id still look into striping it, as mirroring is useless to you as the typical enduser. may just be better to have two drives not in raid if you cant stipe it.

Jedi, I was able to stripe them. I have a 10GB NTFS C drive and a 142GB NTFS D drive. Now I get to spend alot of time filling that up. Thanks again.

Jank

Good. Have fun. I like 'em the RAID...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information