Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serial ATA RAID with IDE HDrives...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    While I agree wholeheartedly that you won't get ATA133 performance out of an ATA133 drive, the fact still remains that you're getting a technology capable of higher bandwidth and then strapping on an instant bottleneck.
    Darth! This is why I wanted to stay out of this. I see things YOUR way. It was my choice at the time with no serial ata drives available.

[B]Posted by FLaCo The At7-Max2 is an obvious pic but it does not support the new 2600+ 333 even with the latest B6 Bios Update...
    Of course it'll support 333, it's a major selling point-forward compatability. They must be slow with the bios update.
    BUT!
    Did you try setting the cpu & fsb speeds yourself instead of using default types? I've been playing with the multiplier and voltage on a 2400, but it appears to be a real open bios. Wish I could be of more help, can't be in 2 places at once right now, but I'd hate to see you throw a good choice out the window for an invalid reason. Or one that may not be as serious as thought.

As for the 2 serial ata connectors. They run in a raid setup same as other drives.

My last 5 boards over the years were 1-Abit and 4-Asus. And now I jumped back to Abit. I personally have never experienced this stability before, especially with my 'have to touch' and 'tweaky' nature.

Everyone has their pet peeves. It points out good and bad & helps us make better choices. As for me, I'm not made of that green stuff and these forums help me big time. So I hope I helped and didn't confuse the issue.

Later.
    Keith
    hkb q8:{ }8p

I know the AT7-Max2 is nice board and obviously it will support the 333 with a KT400 on it...and yes they have been slow on them Bios UPdate. MY board will support it (KX7-333R) but now with the whole nForce and dual channel Memory seems tempting.

Lemme get this str8 HKB...you have a single Special Edition WD correct...and its going great, right no noticeable differnce next to raid?
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by FLaCo
    Lemme get this str8 HKB...you have a single Special Edition WD correct...and its going great, right no noticeable differnce next to raid?
    No, I have not compared to a raid setup. What I do want to do is put these sp.ed. drives in a Raid array. I have 2 80gb drives and 1 180gb drive. I did trade off 2 regular ata133 drives and replaced with theWD sp.ed. drives. It was an obvious speed change.

The reason I'm not running in raid at the moment is that I want a stable way to do the changeover without losing my setup or data. My C: is ntfs (80gb) And I keep minimal programs on my root drive. I could have done this with a 15gb C:\ but they didn't have them on sale with rebates or that small size either. D:\ the other 80gb has most of the program files. The 180gb is currently Images and software storage.

I think (I could be wrong) that anything running in duel fashion would make a lightning difference. Like cpu's. A guy set up a server using Celerons, I don't remember the speed, but they're under 900mhz each and those cpu's cost him practically nothing, and he's still flipping over it's performance. It's a whole new ball game to me.

If I was to start all over, I'd watch the same things you are, see which are going to really be important to me, then look for a duel cpu board. I'd take the harder route (more waiting) and go with AMD cpu's. I know that with duelees, I'd worry less about having the most current cpu. But just knowing I could always drop in the latest is a must.

Keith
    hkb q8:{ }8p

Well this isn't for me...and he obviously cannot wait cuaz his computer is down atm. I also am an AMD man right now...thats is what i am trying to show him.

The spec i recommend to him (he isn't rich)

2600+ 333
    Nforce 2 ASUS
    9700 Pro ( i told him to wait until the NV30 for the price drop)
    512 (2x 256 on Dual Channel DDR)
    and a 120 gig SE WD HD (since there is not raid)

DO you happen to know what the differnce between the ASUS DELUXE nForce @ mobo to the normal nForce 2 ASUS MOBO?...Well besides the obvious like no SATA RAID controller and dual lan ports but does chipset change slightly?...does anyone know?

In PCMARK 2002 RAIDED SE drives and my regular 40 gig WD's on RAID shared the same score.
    - Damien

Basically ya improvement will just be the additional speed added by the extra burst cache of which the 2MB caches won't show a great deal of improvement but the 8MB caches on the "JB"s will infact sustain much longer burst rates as 16MB of cache will most certainly tell over 4MB. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information