Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial ATA RAID with IDE HDrives...

Hi, i have a question about the whole serial ata raid thing.

My friend is set on buying the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. I was onderif anyone knew if a trusty retailer sold serial ata adapters for ide HDrives?

That siad , would that work...making a raid 0 array on a serial ata raid controller with a couple if ide drives?

Thx alot
    - Damien

I don't think that there is such a thing, and even if there were... WHY?

I mean the whole reason to go with Serial ATA is the increased bandwidth. Maybe its just me, but it sounds kinda silly to get a Serial ATA rig and then throttle it down with a slower standard.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well there is an adapter...the new NF7-S comes with one because it only brings one IDE Channel.

I know it sounds silly...but what if you want raid...and that the only mobo you can use. Wouldn't you get the same amount of performance as a regular ide raid array?

Oh, BTW nice review on the TherMagic cooler...i figured was hype from the moment i saw it:thumb:
    - Damien

In answer to the original? question. Abit's A7-MAX2 comes with space for up 8 hd's and 2serial ata that should act the same in a raid config.

There is an adapter to run an ata drive. They give one. Like anything I partially disagree with an earlier comment about using a slower drive on a faster port. I fly with the rule that if their is more available the drive will use it to the max. About 10 of us did drive comparisons and not one reached ata133.

If you want the truth, I sold the maxtor and the puppy company quantum's drives for the ata100 8mb cache edition WD's. None of us have seen anything faster and no problems! hardware wise. The only thing I could see better would be running 2 of those WD special ed's in a duel raid setup (raid 0). Then the only improvement I'll see is nothing AT ALL! Like a ram drive. Zip latency.

Before anyone throws my head against a wall, I was the biggest non-believer. This 'one' time I'm lucky to have listened to my freinds..

Abit makes the adapter to run a parallel drive through the serial ata, but I feel the fitting/40 pin connector is to loose to use to begin with. If that was fixed I'd be giving you some feedback on it's true performance. Numbers are at times, very misleading.

Best
    Keith
    hkb q8:{ }8p

Quote Originally Posted by hkb
    I partially disagree with an earlier comment about using a slower drive on a faster port. I fly with the rule that if their is more available the drive will use it to the max. About 10 of us did drive comparisons and not one reached ata133.
    While I agree wholeheartedly that you won't get ATA133 performance out of an ATA133 drive, the fact still remains that you're getting a technology capable of higher bandwidth and then strapping on an instant bottleneck. That's about the same as going out and buying a drag racer and then buying a 200 cubic inch 6-banger to power it on the strip.

And no, you won't reach the ceiling of theoretical bandwidth on Serial ATA devices either, but they still have the capability to do better than any of the current crop of IDE devices, and that includes the very remarkable WD Special Editions. It is simply a waste of available potential.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by hkb
    In answer to the original? question. Abit's A7-MAX2 comes with space for up 8 hd's and 2serial ata that should act the same in a raid config.

Best
    Keith
    The At7-Max2 is an obvious pic but it does not support the new 2600+ 333 even with the latest B6 Bios Update...

Thats the only drawback i have with that board...is the 2600+ 333 support but the at7 max2 is a bad ass board...

I just would like 2600+ support with normal IDE raid array...forget the whole serial thing i am asking of i can get regular raid performance with that serial raid controller.
    - Damien

Don't look for any performance benefits with Serial ATA as it still has to use the PCI bus atm which can't supply the bandwidth required by Serial ATA (or ATA133 RAID) anyway let alone everything else that has to use it. Serial ATAII is what we have to wait for to see any perform gain as this standard should be away from the PCI bus altogether. : peace2:

But Serial ATA RAID atm may possibly be slower than ATA133 RAID due to the drive converters though I have noticed some Seagate SerialATA drives kickin' about now but ATA133 RAID would be cheaper anyway. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

So now he (my friend) is either going with the IT7-MAX 2 version 2.0 with a 2.53 Intel @ 533 with RAID or ASUS A7N8x w/ a 2600+ @333 with a WD SE...what would you guys go for?
    - Damien

I hope that ya don't expect me to answer that with the contents of my sig do ya?
    <center>:cheers:</center>

LOL...ya..i would go AMD too...and it will end up cheaper for him as well. It7=170 ASUS Nforce2 153

Intel 2.53 =238
    AMD 2600+ 289
    - Damien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information