Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Formatting too much?

same here, every couple of months
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by mystryd
    How often do you guys format your hd? once a yr?
    Interesting question, with interesting answers for sure.

However this is not a basis for a guideline for your system I trust. You need to determine this based on your personal use/requirements. Windows can certainly get borked up over time by installing/uninstalling software. Less than proper driver upgrades can also have adverse affects on system health, manually removing old drivers is all too often a necessity for some hardware it seems - while others do just fine?
    Of course the presence of malware is an excellent reason to reformat.

And certainly your hardware upgrade cycles have a huge impact on the necessity to clean install to get optimum performance from the OS.

Due to my budget limitations and my constant vigilance for malware, I am able to often go well in excess of 1 year between clean installs.

But these are all factors that you need to determine for yourself based on the use of your system.

Then again, if you are willing to take the time -- I don't think there is such a thing as reinstalling too frequently.

If you look at the Mean Time Between Failure specifications on modern drives, you can do a whole lot of formats with no worry.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Two common misconceptions are that formatting a hard drive and flashing the BIOS has a limit. They might, but you will never come close to it.

On my gamer I reformat my RAID with every Windows release (even the service packs). Also with every BIOS or RAID driver change. Often I just change my boot up graphic.

I mod XP or hack the BIOS whenever I feel like it, I format at least twice monthly. I have 2 years on my twin IBM 40 gigs, and close to 50 formats.

As far as I can tell, formatting has no effect on the drive longevity. Heavy fragmentation is probably worse for your drives.

If you mod XP, formatting is a part of the process. Eventually you trash XP beyond recovery. It is so much easier to reformat and reinstall from a backup than figure out exactly what you did wrong.

I COULD go a year and do it all at once, but why suffer the slowdowns and reconstruction needed to fix XP? I can get data to my server in 10 minutes, format the HD, install XP and my apps in less than two hours. But it is only 20 minutes of my time, the rest is unattended.

Formatting is a good option for getting rid of troubles that you do not know how to fix. I would not hesitate to use it.
    2.3 Ghz Athlon, 512 Mb RAM, GFarce 4 and I am still so bad at Quake I might as well be DOA

Why do you fellows format so often? :confused:

It won't hurt them but... :?:

<small>maybe some of ya's need to do some homework me thinks</small> :devil:

i'm always playing around with different OS and configs...and every once in a while because it is easier to format than to figure out what went wrong...this is only a philosophy that I use with my own comp, when it belongs to someone else I figure out what is wrong with it before I ever mention formatting

I can understand that of software beta and hardware testers but in your case why don't ya use a multi-boot setup instead? :?:

I'm settin' up another multi-boot PC shortly that will handle a few M$ oses plus a few flavours of Linux all controlled by System Commander on an 80GB HDD. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I do that as well, currently i'm running win98, winxp pro, and red hat 8

Well 18-24 months I get from a Win9x install (excludin' mitagatin' factors in ME) and goodness knows how long with XP (havn't had to redo one of mine yet except for a dud HDD over a year ago now) but the Linux oses will be a challenge to me at first.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Wow y'all know what you're talking about. With so many peeps formatting so much I definately feel much more comfortable with formatting :) I thought it would put lots of wear and tear on drive, but I normally quick format anyways, and if all it does it wipe the header to make the OS think there's nothing there, then it definately shouldn't wear it enough to scare me :)

Thanks for everybody's input...definately very very helpful! :)
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by DOA
    <snip>

I COULD go a year and do it all at once, but why suffer the slowdowns and reconstruction needed to fix XP? I can get data to my server in 10 minutes, format the HD, install XP and my apps in less than two hours. But it is only 20 minutes of my time, the rest is unattended.

<snip>
    How do you do all of this unattended... If you don't mind me asking, what is your backup method? Curious. I bet it beats writing 10 CDs to back up all of your data :) (which is what I'm normally forced to do to back up my data)
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information