Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Formatting too much?

Hate to revive a really old thread like this...

Just recently I bought a 120gb Maxtor...nice nice drive! Problem is that I've had to format the damned thing 5 times. The problem isn't the drive...it's windows. Getting windows to do a perfect installation so that I can image it is taking far more work than I though it would... Amazing that it's so difficult to get an OS to cooperate with you.

Nevertheless... I can't help but keep worrying that the HD isn't likin' these formats. I spoke to a friend who works is a computer tech and he told me that "although formats don't damage the drive, they stress it enormous and can cause a shorter lifespan of the drive."

So now I'm left like..."huh!?"

These formats have ended up shooting me in the head, 'eh? :snip: (hehehe, I like that icon!)

So now I'm back here...to inquire about what y'all think about this. I mean...I dunno, I guess I'm kinda paranoid about this issue. I'm still within my 30 days, and I will return it if I have reason to worry...

What do y'all think? Quick formats...I'm up to about 5. <sigh>

Why oh why...:(
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

I also work in the computer industry and have for about 5 years now. I have never seen extended damage or shorter life span due to formatting to much. I have a Maxtor 12.7GB drive that I've had since 1998 and it has been formatted 30 - 50 times since. It has been used for experimenting. It still runs like it did when I first got it. For the best installs of Windows, you should copy, depending on which version, either the Win98 folder or the i386 folder to your hard drive and run the installation from there. It's more reliable and much faster. You even might have a bad hard drive. I go through about 5 - 10 drives a month at work and I often get drives that are bad out of the box. You should return the drive for a new one and see if that works. If it doesn't then come back here and someone will get your problem fixed.
    <h6><font color=black>P4 2.53Mhz cooled by <a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/orbs/dragon478s.htm" target="_blank"><font color=green>TT P4 Dragon HSF</font></a>
    Asus P4PE 533Mhz fsb board w/<font color=red>Tt</font color> Tiger Orb chipset HSF
    Samsung 512MB PC2700 DDR333 Cas 2.5
    WD 40GB 7200rpm HDD
    Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD
    VisionTek G4 Ti4600 w/<font color=red>Tt</font color> G4 Copper VGA HSF & RAMsinks
    Using nVidia 42.68 Dets w/DX 9
    Samsung 16x DVD
    Lite-On 40X12X48 CD-RW
    Creative SB Live 5.1 X-Gamer
    Creative Inspire 5.1 Speakers
    <font color=red>Tt</font color> 420 watt PSU w/dual fans
    Viewsonic G810 21" CRT
    WinXP Pro Corp w/SP-1

I too am a computer tech...you've got nothing to worry about

not defragmenting often will wear out a drive faster than formating ever will.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

good point minibubba...
    <h6><font color=black>P4 2.53Mhz cooled by <a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/orbs/dragon478s.htm" target="_blank"><font color=green>TT P4 Dragon HSF</font></a>
    Asus P4PE 533Mhz fsb board w/<font color=red>Tt</font color> Tiger Orb chipset HSF
    Samsung 512MB PC2700 DDR333 Cas 2.5
    WD 40GB 7200rpm HDD
    Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD
    VisionTek G4 Ti4600 w/<font color=red>Tt</font color> G4 Copper VGA HSF & RAMsinks
    Using nVidia 42.68 Dets w/DX 9
    Samsung 16x DVD
    Lite-On 40X12X48 CD-RW
    Creative SB Live 5.1 X-Gamer
    Creative Inspire 5.1 Speakers
    <font color=red>Tt</font color> 420 watt PSU w/dual fans
    Viewsonic G810 21" CRT
    WinXP Pro Corp w/SP-1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information