Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Could it just be a bad Hard Drive. Say it ain't so!!!!

Well, where to begin. My hard drive started acting up: taking WAY to long to be detected at the startup screen (the one where you can press del to get into Bios). So I've tried a couple of things. But now it's gotten to the point where I can't do anything at all. For example, I can't reformat the drive using a startup disk because it doesn't recognize that my hard drive (c:) is even there. (I can type "c:" in dos and it will say invalid drive specification) I can't use fdisk either because everytime I try to create/delete/view the partition it says "error reading fixed disk." Here are a few things that I know for sure are NOT the problem. It's not a bad ide cable, it's not bad jumper settings, it's not a bad motherboard, it's not bad ram, it's not a bad powersource, it's not a bad slave/master configuration. I've tried to create and use partition magic rescue/boot disks, but I can't get partitoin magic to run because a big error happens when it tries to read my HD. I'm pretty sure that the partition table is jacked up. My last two thoughts are that I got some nasty virus that killed my partition table to the point that I can't even access my drive anymore, or it just plain died. I like to think it's not the latter because it's fairly new. Oh yeah, the hard drive manufacturer is Magnetic Data Technologies (I know, I know...it's definitely no Maxtor or Seagate...most likely the root of my problems). I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

D-meist

Gigabyte GA-7ZXE
    AMD T-bird 1.4
    640 Megs of RAM
    Optorite 40X12X40 CD-R
    Sony DVD
    Gefore 3 Ti200
    400 W generic power source
    Soundblaster
    Piece of crap Hard Drive 10GB @ 7200

1 thing I didn't hear mentioned was the drive being properly configured in the BIOS:?:

Try auto detecting, or manually configuring it if you know the specs.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Try configuring it in BIOS if you haven't alreayd as Mr.C mentioned...could be conflicting...

I have never heard oof that HD manufacture either...
    - Damien

The specs for manually configuring may be in the downloads section of the website:?:

http://www.mdtglobal.com/default.asp?language=english

The company was recently purchased by Solectron Corporation ___ conveniently enough, they are big in repairing hard drives.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information