Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: can someone help

i just installed wes dig 60gb hdd. after successful install i tested it. i have 2 hdds right now. so i dragged one of my file from c: to f: my new hdd. but the file makes a copy of itself instead of moving to f: . get what i mean? if i move file from c: to c: it will drag fine, but when i drag from one hdd to the next it will just copy. please help thnk you.

Why don't you try "Cut and Paste method".right-click file you want to move,select and left-click cut,open folder or drive where you want the file moved and right-click,select paste.Ps,hope that made sense.Btw,you can also hold down the "shift" button while left-click drag.
    A friend of mine,a friend of ours.
    What do i call you?

i know what you mean but ...isnt it weird how i can just click an icon on my c: and drag it to any folder in the same c: ..but when i drag that same icon and try to put it in my f: which is my new hdd. it will simply make another copy. in other words..i will get 2 copies of the same icon on both drives. why does it do this?

Windows works with dragging files in 2 different ways. If you drag a file with the left mouse button to somewhere else on the same drive, it moves it . If you move it from drive to drive, it copys it. You can move files from drive to drive by using the right mouse button to drag. When you release the button, a menu pops up and you can choose to move it. Windows has worked like that for quite some time.

Beefy Guest

Windows has been designed so that file transfer inside a partition is classed as a move, whereas transfer to another partition is a copy... unless otherwise specified.

Another way to do it is as bigjackusa said.

ohhhh i get it now!

never had two hard drives on one computer :(

well, i guess that is my computer lesson of the day.

Thanks again!

Thread Information