Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Hard drive going to die?

Ok, here's the problem. I have one of those IBM 60 GXP drives. I know these hard drives are known to fail quite frequently due to them running hot an over heating and so on. So what's gong on is this. In the past month, I've come in to hear the drive clicking. A re-boot would take care of it. Now, it's not clicking, but the drive makes this high pitched whine all the time. It happens whenever there's power supplied to the drive. If I go to standby and it powers down the drive, it is silent. I guess the question is, does this sound like a hard drive that is going to die? Should I get a more reliable replacement? And how can I image the drive I currently have onto the new drive? So I don't lose all my info.

If it is manmade, it will eventually fail.

No one can say exactly when, but it will happen.
    Statistically, that "DeathStar" will fail a lot sooner than similar offerings from other manufacturers.

They have an extremely poor track record, and it would be the safest course of action to replace it with another drive of better reputation.

Many drive manufacturers offer utility sets with their drives that can copy the data from your old drive to their new one.

If you get an OEM or secondhand drive, these utilities are also available for download from the manufacturers website.

Of course, there are also utilities which you can purchase that do the same thing. Your choice, the free ones are good enough for me.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Yah, I wish i knew they called them "DeathStar" before I bought it. But, I found out shortly after. Looks like I'll be getting a Western Digital with 8Mb buffer.

Many were taken in on that one:(

I think that would make a fine upgrade/replacement indeed!

The utilities for that drive can be had at;
    http://support.wdc.com/download/
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I've only ever had one deskstar die on me (just recently), wherein I've had several dozen maxtor drives over the course of the past 3 years up and quit for no apart reason. But, in the course of my computing years... I've never had a seagate drive die on me of "natural causes" (killed one, but was doing some carpentry work and didn't see the drive there... stupid mistake :))
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

I would guess that the whine is the bearings failing. Next would probably be the "shaking a box of rocks" noise. By then, its life could be measured in minutes.

:eek:
    Is there no end to the senseless carpentry mishaps!

sorry, I imagine that was actually quite a depressing experience:(

IBM SUCKS ASS!:scream:

nuff said.

Well, okay, I'll say more

Their hard drives suck in reliablity. I've had 2 60GXP, both of which crapped out. I have an older 10GB one that was in the 34GXP lineup (before the infamous 75GXP's that started the whole **** up on ibm's part)

I've had no good lck ith the IBM drives, much prefer the WD JB's. I've dropped the Wd drives fom about 2 feet up and they still work no problem, the IBM tend to die if drpeed from a few inches.

As for the tick of death, there are a few things u can do.

Certain boot sector viruses can cause the tick.

U may also want to try a low level format if u can find utility anywhere to do so, though with the new drives its not so relevant. Backup all the data on the drive and try to remove the partitions and rewrite the fat or ntfs tables and MBR. If that dosent do it, see if u have a warranty still. If not, then u will eventaully ahve a great big paperweight. The best thing about broken harddrives are the magnets inside, very strong. Take the drive apart and see what it looks like and steal the magnets, its gotta have some use afterall.

My WD Hard Disk only chooses to work in cable select mode. It would intermittently work set as Master or Slave. I've had no problems with other Hard Disk's set to M or S.
    Lian LI PC60
    (2 intake 80mm ADDA/3
    exhaust 80mm ADDA)
    EG465P-VE Enermax Dual fan PSU 465watt
    Asus A7N8X Dx ver2.0 C1007 latest bios
    AthlonXp 3200+ Barton
    Xms Corsair 3700PT TwinX paired 2x512@200mhz
    200mhz X 11.0 = 2.205GIG
    creative audigy 2
    Asus V8460 U Ti 4600 Dx
    CPU full load 28C
    Case full load 24C