Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: IBM 180GB HD Partitioning Problems

Windows XP Pro (not updated to SP1)
    AMD2100+ ASUS A7V333-X 256 RAM
    120GB WD1200JB three partitions NTFS
    180GB IBM Deskstar

I just got a IBM 180GB HD to go with my WD 120GB. I used Partition Magic 8 to format my IBM using FAT32 and had three partitions made 60GB each. I use this disk for data and backup only. I formatted it using FAT32 because I might want to take the IBM drive out to use with my Notebook running Win98SE. About 3 days after using the IBM it suddenly would not appear in My Computer but I could see it in my devices.

I think the problem is Windows XP not updated to SP1 does not support 48bit logical addressing for drives above 137GB. I'm told SP1 will fix the problem but I thought I wouldn't need to since each partition is less than 137GB at 60 GB each.

Can somebody tell me will upgrading to SP1 fix my problem? Also will I need to format using NTFS even though my partitions are only 60GB?

First, you shouldn't need SP1 to use the partitioned drive (Windows did see it for 3 days, right). My guess is the you have somehow changed your permissions to not allow you access to the drive. Log on as administrator and see if the drive reappears.

Yes it was working ok for 3 days but I was thinking perhaps it was not stable since Partition Magic did it but then XP didn't have the right driver.

I hopefully fixed the problem because I went and upgraded the system to SP1 and like a charm the new driver recognized my HD as 172.5GB rather than 137 GB. I reformatted the drive back to NTFS just to be safe and with the three partitions as before but this time using the XP formatting tool rather than Partition Magic. I'll give the drive eanother run with some data that I already have backed up and I hope I do not have this problem again. Thanks for replying.

Go into Computer Management and look for disk management, this is the thing u should be using to format your drives, not a 3rd party utility. if u can see the drive in there then u should be able to access it. The Sp1 will not solve your issue as it relates to drivers on your mobo. a lot of newer asus boards come with an .inf solution for this issue. HOwever, if u managed to format it, that shouldnt be needed.

It is not possible to use this dirve in your notebook as notebook drives are 2.5" drives, not 3.5", and notebook makers certainly dont leave nay extra space lying around.

Actually SP1a was the right fix I believe as my computer now has been working for a week now with the problem resolved. I also figured out how to upgrade to SP1a if you are using a bootleg copy.

Check out this article in MS Knowledgebase which explains my problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;303013

I agree rather than use a 3rd party software I used the tools in XP to format my drive. I am not using Partition Magic right now and at this point see no need.

How I use the IBM 3.5 hard drive with my notebook is I have a separate USD 2.0 Case and plug it in as an auxillary drive. The thing works like a charm, it really is truly plug and play and the speed of USB 2 is fantastic. It is an excellent way to backup your data and I highly recommend it!

Thread Information