Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Swapfile and partition

I am wondering if the location of the swapfile on the harddrive makes any difference to its overall read/write speed. At the moment I have it in its own exact size partition (to prevent fragmenting) which is directly after C:

Someone told me that the closer it is to the inner section of the harddrive platter (to the left side when viewed in defrag) is faster..But mine is on the right because of the partition

If I move the swapfile partition (G: ) so it is before C: (using Partition Pro7, winXP, 768Mb swapfile) -and therefore on the left side when analyzed in defrag- will this improve performance? But will the swapfile paritition then become C:? If so, could this prevent booting up? :wow:

Beefy Guest

If you create your own sized page file, then it's not going to fragment, as the file will be created and will always take up the same sectors on the drive.

Also, partitioning the drive and putting the pagefile on the other partition like you have won't make things better / faster. In fact, there's a slight chance it will make things worse (not noticibly, but it'll be there). When you have it that way, your drive will be trying to access data from one part of the drive near the start, and writing it to the page file on the other end of the drive. So it's a lot of activity that's not really necessary.

Basically, scrap the idea of having a seperate partition for your pagefile. A seperate drive would make things better, but not two partitions on the one drive. You're not really going to see that much of a performance boost anyway.

I originally did have the pagefile min=max=768meg and on the C: drive with no other partitions. But using Page Defrag from www.sysinternals.com (which defrags the page file and registry hives that windows defrag cant) I noticed the swap becoming more and more fragmented.

Eventually my 40G drive became so full with games/files that it couldnt completely defrag the pagefile, so that is why I put it on its own partition.

Are ya usin' FAT32 or NTFS format on ya C: drive? :?:

FAT32. (So I can lend my HD to ppl with the win98 dinosaur)

That's likely why it's fragmenting so much and only the C: drive needs to be NTFS (this partition will be useless to 98 users anyway) and the rest left as FAT32.

Thread Information