Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxtor 80's

ok i am not trying to start hysteria again - moreso researching the probabilities..

I have 2 80Gb Maxtors, the newer of the 2 recently began producing this error in windows "delayed write failed at e:\$mft" or somefin like that... anyways i just backed all the data up, and started filling/emptying the drive to test it. not long into testing it started to run real slow until it failed altogether, no longer recognised by windows..

after a bit of playing around i decided to get it tested with a real util - somefin they used does a LLF and halts/notifies on finding any drive defect - none found, maxtor utils - none found...

so i got the drive back in my machine operating fine afaik (cant trust it with precious data yet)..

just last nite i was chatting on an IRC channel where everyone has large amounts of data stored, and discovered that many had also had this prob with maxtors, only they didnt get the drive goin - they replaced it with a new which has been fine, so with like 5 guys out of 60 all having seen that before, i was wondering how many others are out there...and if its going to be IBM.v2
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Sorry m8 but I stay away from both IBM and Maxtor as I've swapped far too many faulty drives of both of them out of systems. :hammer:

Beefy Guest

In Maxtor's defense, I've had a 30GB and a 60GB Maxtor drive in my PC, both of them purchased when they were the biggest drives around, and I haven't had a problem with either. And my machine has been hauled around all over the place, dropped, smashed into a wall, etc... :)

Then again, I seem to be lucky with that PC. I've been running the whole thing ever since I built it off a 230W PSU.

a bit more looking around - i reckon maybe its a glitch in a batch/period, as i said, the newer one did this not the older one, hopefully im right coz i got all maxtors in my system, and ive been VERY happy with them until that happened, but i still trust maxtor...for now
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Quote Originally Posted by sKuLLsHoT
    a bit more looking around - i reckon maybe its a glitch in a batch/period, as i said, the newer one did this not the older one, hopefully im right coz i got all maxtors in my system, and ive been VERY happy with them until that happened, but i still trust maxtor...for now
    I've got a WD2000JB running on a serial ATA controller (VIA, on a SOYO KT600 Ultra) that is giving up the same errors. It's degenerative during run-time, in that if you don't reboot eventually the drive becomes inaccessible by any of the other programs.

Anyone get anything on this?

Just by the way: I never had any problems with Maxtor-HDDs, and I'd always decide to buy a Maxtor HDD again.
    Found spelling errors? Grammatical flaws? Congratulations, you may keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by sKuLLsHoT
    so with like 5 guys out of 60 all having seen that before, i was wondering how many others are out there...and if its going to be IBM.v2

I've mostly had and worked with Maxtor drives since Windows 95 and have never had a problem with any of them not even the computers I've work on for other people (A hardrive is a very reliable PC part considering how much its worked if you ask me). The 80Gb Maxtor drives that I have seem very fast and quite compared to some of the other brands I've run across.

Maybe you should call Maxtor about the drive to see what they think. For a big company their tech support was very good the last time I called them and believe me when it comes to companies that deal in computer parts most tech help really bites.:barf:

P.S. I just recently seen 2 Western Digital drives bite the dust but they were both made in 1997:rolleyes: . Other than that I've never had a bad haddrive to date but have formatted a pile of them due to viruses and file mishaps.

Originally posted by Spongebob
    For a big company their tech support was very good the last time I called them and believe me when it comes to companies that deal in computer parts most tech help really bites.
    Depends. If you have choices, you're better off. For example, the german MSI tech support really sucks, but the american one is fine. Oddly enough, it was even cheaper for me to call the american hotline than the german one.
    Found spelling errors? Grammatical flaws? Congratulations, you may keep it.

I've heard stories of how maxtor's really used to suck back in the day (they had a cheapo rep). However, they now must have cleaned up their act, because they make a damn good hard drive. When my WD drive failed (from 2001) I replaced it with a 60GB maxtor. Both drives are extremely fast and quiet. I can't complain about them at all. They'll probably be faster once I can figure out how to change the acoustic management... Ah well, a project for me to do. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

My hard primary slave drive just died.

This happened to me just yesterday and tbh im pretty f***** pissed off about it. Not only does it contain many pieces of artwork which i spent ages making, but my unversity final year project is also on there and I am desperate to try and get it back.

The offending piece of hardware is the Maxtor ata 133 80GB. But get this.....this is the second time its happened. First time I got one from microdirect after a few months it died, so i took it back had to wait another month then got an exact replacement, now a couple of months down the line....same thing happened.

I am actually looking for someone who can offer me a solution to obtain the data from this drive.

heres what happened step by step. I was doing some work on my pc and everything was fine. I shut my pc down went out for a few hours came back turned the pc on and received the message

"Primary Slave hard disk failed" when the ide detection was running

at first i didnt notice the push f1 to continue so i started checking ide cables and mobo settings and i even tested it in another pc (same problem) so its pretty obvious the drive has died. Luckily it isnt my main drive so i can still boot into windows, but its not detected and I need the data on that drive.

It is detected by the bios and I've heard that it is possible to perform data retrieval Acts on drives that are detected in the bios..does anyone know anything more about this?

If anyone here has any ideas on what to do I will forever be in their debt if they offer a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information