Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows 98 & Optical drives

I've got a PIII 733 on an Apollo Pro 133-based mobo. 512 MB RAM. First hard disk is a Seagate 20-GB drive. I also have a WD 40 GB drive, an 8X DVD and a 48X16X48X CD-RW. I'm having a hard time getting them to work together. At first, I wanted the 20GB HDD to be the primary master and the 40GB HDD to be the primary slave. Then I wanted the CD-RW to be the secondary master and the DVD-ROM to be the secondary slave. Well, when I put both HDDs on the same IDE channel they didn't like that at all (CPU would not boot into Win). Then I put one on each channel, with an optical drive slaved to each. Windows Device Manager shows both optical drives as OK. One is the E drive (that's the CD-RW, it's the slave on the prime channel), the other is the F drive (that's the DVD on the second channel). Windows Explorer will display the contents of the E drive but not the F drive. I can browse the contents of the F disc at a command prompt. Windows knows it's there, why won't it display its contents?

You shouldn't mix ROM drives with hard drives as you'll slow the performance of the hard drives greatly plus I've found that when using WD drives with another make of hard drive that the WD must be the master (jumpered as master w/ slave present). Also be sure that ya usin' the latest VIA 4in1 drivers.

So you think I should make the 40 GB WD Caviar my primary master? I was reluctant to do that since the 20 GB drive is where the OS is installed. I'm looking into VIA 4-in-One updates now.

Thanks for the advice.

Alain

Beefy Guest

For a test, set the jumpers to Cable Select, or set each drive to actually be Master / Slave, and see if that helps...

Basically ya WD is a faster drive (whether either a BB or JB series) and that should have the os on it for the best performance anyway so ghost the os onto the WD and use the Seagate as ya basic storage drive.

Thanks for the tip. I had thought about that. The only reason I didn't do it, is that I am putting this machine together only to get data off of it to migrate to the machine I'm building.

Alain

Check that setting jumpers on HDD to cable select often causes issues in mixed branded systems.. and also make certain CDRW is set to master on the secondary IDE controller
    In the heart of every person is an emptiness that only God can fill

Thread Information