Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i partition my harddrive?

Hello Everybody! As you may have gathered from the title i am wondering if partioning my harddrive will increase my performance. I have a 70gb hardrive and a XP2000 plus 256 of mem. I have 30gb of music and film files and 20 gb of games and other crap inculding uni work - do you think it would be an advantage to me and would it increase my performance (thats what i really want!) any suggestions would be great!! ta ta:cheers:

I always partition mine. Not for performance as such but to lessen the chance of data loss (can't help though with a hard drive failure). 3GB for Win9x and 5GB for 2K/XP (with Office fully loaded into that same partition plus the swapfile) and all the rest on another.

I take it it works then else you wouldn't do it! Hmm sounds quite good i could use one hard drive for work and one for games - how many times can you partion it then?

ta ta

With IDE drives ya can have from C to Z but do remember that ya optical drives have to fit in there as well (just 2 partitions does me in most cases but you may want a multimedia as well as a games partition though the choice is up to you). ;)

There are workarounds available, but using conventional partitioning methods there can be 4 primary partitions per IDE device.

just a suggestion, make a 10G primary and 2 20G logical drives -- the rest make the third logical drive. Unless you want to do a lot of math and make even sizes, a bit of space (not much) will go to creating the partitions themselves.
    That will give you 4 drives.

The real beauty here is in backing up data;
    OS is of course on C:\
    When I DL a program or update, drivers, etc. I DL it to D:\ -- that way, when I format and reinstall the OS (C:\) all the goodies are still there on D:/ to get up to speed with minimal time and hassle.

Drives E:\ & F:\ can just be used for whatever you desire:D

Works out real sweet that way:thumb:
    IMO that's the best to be gained from partitioning!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    Drives E:\ & F:\ can just be used for whatever you desire:D
    :laugh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sounds good Mr C!

A few more questions if you please!

1. Why do you use 10gb for your os if the standalone programme takes up 2gb? Or does that include work programmes such as word?

Hmmm if i did that i would have to use 10gb for OS another 20gb for drivers, work programmes and uni stuff then the other 40gb for media and games. I suppose it makes it more organised!

2. Whats IMO?

and this ones for Wiggo:

Whats IME and optical (like cd and floppy?)

Cheers for filling me in lads and lasses!

ta ta

OK for mine, A & B are reserved for floppy drives only and yes optical drives are CD/DVD/CDRW/etc.
    Also if ya usin' 2K or XP only use NTFS on the C drive or recovering ya data on the other partitions may turn out to be impossible if ya turn on the security settings (safer to use FAT32 on the others).

Oh IMO = In My Opinion ;)

Ahh wicked! please excuse my ignorance but whats NTFS and the other thing you were going on about? ta ta

NTFS
    and
    FAT

both of them are file systems used to save files on a hard disk!
    :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information