Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HELP! WD800 buzzing noise?

ok i just bought a WD800 from gameve.com

its a 80gb, 7200rpm, 8mb..

i left it on defualt settings (Cable Select) and hooked up the proper connections and powered my pc on but it made noise.. not so much like clicking noise but buzzing noise (like a warning sign?)

i guess the best description of the noise is an alarm clock, only, not as loud.

rechecked connections.. good..
    disconnected the ide cable, power connector on.. fired up pc, and it still made the buzzing noise.. also tried it on another computer and same response.

btw, i have a

MSI k7n2L mobo
    2x 256mb corsair pc2700
    xp1700+
    volcano 7+
    ati 9500 pro

ok so what i can tell is that the pc was working fine with the old hard drive. You put in a new hard drive and there is a buzzing noise... i would check if you have the right connections make sure pin 1 is the red wire, also check the power connector i have seen in the past where some one managed to plug it in the other way killing the drive, instead of cable select make it a real master or slave with the jumpers... if all else failes just get an RMA number from WD and send it back, or you can go though who ever u got it from just watch out for any hidden shipment fees.

Id rma that sob cuz it sounds like its bad

aside from the drive making noise, did the computer POST??
    if so you can use the disk that should come with the drive (its also available form the website) to diagnose the drive and see if its bad.

Thread Information