Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAIDing CD-RW Drives?

The whole idea of burning multiple CD's or RAIDing CD has been DROPPED! :D

What I'm going for now is using standard drives that most people have and use everyday.

a CD-Burner
    and a DVD/CD-Rom drive

You put a CD in each, they both mount, an app connects the two files and mounts a 1400MB disk image.

That's the basic idea.

And id you have an old CD-ROM collection dust... the you?re up to 2.1GB.

Actually this is starting to sound a lot like simply splitting a file between CD's and then rejoining them without copying them to the HD.

Further more?

(Hopping back to the RAIDing idea, someone has RAIDed flash card readers and floppy disk drives, this shouldn't be too different. I'll see if I can find the article about him and shoot him an email.)

(Also, kane2g when you connected the CD drive to your RAID was there a CD in it?)

This really should be do-able.
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

yeah, I was actually trying to install OS from the drive. But didnt really noticed which connector was plugged into which one. There were 4ide and a floppy as well as a mess of power cables everywhere. Ya know, standard workbench. :D

lol yeah.

Aren't CD drives and Such ATAPI which isn't compatable with ATA / IDE?

Could you do me a favor and see if the CD drive will mount if it is the only thing connected to your RAID controller?

Oh and here is a link to the site where the guy RAIDed a bunch of floppy disks!

http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm

4.22 MB drive 3.9MB formatted) floppy RAID! Man, blows everything out of the water! :afro: :D
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

have you tried write to floppy lately??? Blazing fast speeds!!

someone has RAIDed flash card readers and floppy disk drives
    <--WOW RAIDed FLOPPIES!...just briliant...

Goal: Easily copying of a file / files larger than 700MB and accessing them without copying them back to a HD and rejoining segments.
    Best Solutions: (easiest to hardest)

#1) DVD-Burner (4.7 GB disks) (250$ USD)

#2) Back up Hard drive (40 GB = 50$ USD) (200GB = 200$ USD)

#3) Back up computer on the network (acting as a server) if multiple PC's need access. (300$ PC, with hard drive of your choice)

#4) Multiple back up computers if this is a really high access chunk of data being used by MANY computers. (you get the idea)
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information