Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAIDing CD-RW Drives?

Hello, would it be possible to RAID or otherwise connect multiple CD-RW Drives to make it easier to make back ups.

I.e 4 x drives = 4 x 700MB = 2.4 GB

Or would I have to create 4 disk images or partitions 700MB each and then burn those to CD.

Second would it be possible to mount the RAID again?

Also, is there any limit to the # of drives I could combine?

Thanks for your time,
    StB
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

not possible to raid cdrw's
    but if you want to create an image or backup of a harddrive that bigger than CD it can be acomplished.

SmokeyTheBalrog, do you understand how RAID works? It is impossible to RAID optical drives. As far as connecting multiple drives, you can connect as many drives as have IDE slots to support them. But why you would want more than one or two is beyond me. You can back up your entire HD(s) with 1 CD-R drive.

I back up any important files on my 120 GB drive every week with my single 12x CD-RW.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Ok, so how about this.

So how about creating partions / disk images of 700MB each.

Then raid the partitions / images and then when you insert the CD's remount the whole raid.

4 partions of 700MB
    4 CD-RW drives
    You back up each partition to a disk
    and then when you mount them
    would you be able from the CD's reconstruct the RAID, or would you have to copy?

Again saying 4 drives totalling 2.4 GB

Could a 2.4GB partion/file/disk imge whatever, be copied to 4 CD's and then whe you mount them have the full 2.4GB parition/ etc without having to move the files back to your HD?
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

With the level of compression certain algorithms can do, it is not neccesarily going to backup byte-to-byte. In other words, when you backup 2.4GB using software, it may only turn out to be 300MB and thus will fit on 1 CD. Dont ask me how that works though, I am still wondering.

Check out www.howstuffworks.com for more about compression if you wanna know how it works, but that will only give you the basics. Ive seen 1.2GB compressed into about 150MB before:S

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    SmokeyTheBalrog, do you understand how RAID works? It is impossible to RAID optical drives. As far as connecting multiple drives, you can connect as many drives as have IDE slots to support them. But why you would want more than one or two is beyond me. You can back up your entire HD(s) with 1 CD-R drive.

I back up any important files on my 120 GB drive every week with my single 12x CD-RW.
    Goal: Easily copying of a file / files larger than 700MB and accessing them without copying them back to a HD and rejoining segments.

Two parts.
    1) A folder larger larger the 700MB easily distributed to multiple CD's

2) When the multiple CD's mounted at the same time the full sized folder mounts.

This should be do-able.
    Actually the second part might be easier than the first. If I remember correctly the app. Stuffit can mount a single image from multiple segments without having to rejoin or copy or move them in anyway.

Hmm, maybe stuffit also does the reverse, I I'll have to check.

i can see where he is going with this, i have a HUGE mp3 collection (42 gigs) and i used winrar to compress and back it up into 700mb cunks, took ym hdd 192 hours to compress and devide the files into 59 cd's of exactly 700megs for efficiant usage of cd's, i was thinking about having 2 cd-rw's on my new pc to do multi-burns, but dont the cd-rw's only burn copies of the same thing to both/all drives. what i mean is, i can burn the same thing to 1-4 cd-rws, but if my math is right ur gona neeed one hell of a box/hdd to write 4 partitions of 700meg to 4 cd-rws, first off ym p3 1ghz takes nearly 80% of resources to burn (i can play a song while burning, thats it) but u cant burn different things to different drives. maybe if you had 4 700mb hdd's but not from different PARTITIONS because the drive cant read from 4 different secotrs fast enough to keep up with the demand of the burners AND run the Os... maybe a couple sata's on a raid 1...maybe, scsi 320's definetly, ultra 160's a maybe also. a cd-rom writes at about 7000kbps at full-till, somehow i doubt u can read 7mbps off 4 sectors off the same hdd at the same time, ur gona get bufferunderuns, or just cut the speed of the burning down to say, 12x, or so, in which case u should just burn 4 disks with same drive 4 times, same amount of time, or less im sure. i think u got a great idea for backup, but not pratical:shrug:

OK, so the 1st part, burning to multiple CDs can't be done at with current tech.

Then how about the 2nd part?

Using multiple CD drives as READ ONLY RAID set up.

You would have to burn each CD separately,
    but once burned you could mount the CD at the same time.
    2 CD's = 1400MB and if you have more than two CD drives...

(The only other problem is finding CD drives cheep enough to make it worth while to go above the standard 2 CD drives)

EDIT - Oh yeah. Stuffit can't do anything like that. Though it can remove a file without unstuffing the whole archive or split an archive into chunks, which is pretty standard fare.

I just was playing with a RAID setup, and when I hooked up my CD to the raid, it wasnt recognized.
    I dont see why dont you just get some 6 gig drive for dirt cheap and forget about trying to raid CDs. It cannot be done. let me repeat that. IT CANNOT BE DONE.

Raiding cd-roms=forget it.
    Why don't u just get a DVD burner? That should do the trick.
    Or use removable HD's. Both will probably be cheaper than buying 4 cd burners
    "Make FPS, not war"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information