Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which hard drive?

i use a 40gb western digital 7200 with 2mb cache...either its dying or my partition table is screwed....:?:

although ive had it for about 3 and a half years and its survived alot of bangs, removals and in the boot of cars so i am well and truly happy...

bought a WD 80gb 8mb cache for $195.00 AU, from what i hear about them i wouldnt go with anything else!!
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

In case you are going with the drives with the most votes, I recommend any of the JB/SE Western Digital drives. That is the Special Edition Western Digital hard drives that have the 8 megabytes of on-board cashe and perform quite nicely. The model number ends in JB rather than BB for the 2 mb cashe drives.

Seagate makes very good drives, too. Maxtor is not bad, if you're looking for lower price, but greater risk. Avoid the rest! IMO
    :-(

i remember reading a post by darth recently that the Western Digital SE's perform around 41% better than their 2mb counterparts...whether they are seagate or wot...:thumb:
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Well I'd say Seagate's are pretty reliable... I myself have 2 seagate drives and they work without a hitch. They may not be as fast as the Western Digitals, but they're sturdy and VERY quiet... I can hardly hear them.
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1690MHz, 512MB DDR RAM(1x Apacer 256 + 1x Kingmax 256), Thermaltake V9, Gigabyte GA-7VRX, MSI GF4Ti4200 64MB, 40GB+80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1DE, Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW, Liteon LTR40125S, Samsung TFT 151s, Altec Lansing 641

Stay VERY VERY far away from IBM's.

I would be weary of any maxtor, unless it was ridiculously cheap, and I didn't need it as a system drive.

I buy Western Digital and Seagate only now days. Although the WD's are easier to use, for example, a Seagate I just got had the tinyest mofo jumpers, i needed to make a tool out of a miniature paperclip just to get the jumper out. :thumbs do

And thats when I had the drive in my hands, forget changing jumpers on an installed drive! omg.

And don't tell me to go buy a good jumper. If I buy your hard drive, it better come with a decent 1 cent jumper, or I won't be buying from you again. ;)
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

I have had a Maxtor DiamondMax +9 60Gb for about six months now...havenīt got any problems with it and itīs very quiet! :thumb:

I've got no complaint with either Maxtor or WD, but of the two I greatly prefer WD, whether it is a special edtion or not

my limited experiance with Seagate has not be the greatest, one drive now sits on a self collecting dust since it is so unreliable...however the other drive is nearly 4 yrs old and still very reliable despite all the abuse I've given it, but it is very noisy

none of the Maxtor or WD drives I have purchased have yet to fail me

like it has been said, avoid IBM deskstar drives at all costs...
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Beefy Guest

I've had at least one Maxtor drive in my PC for the last 3 years, and haven't had a single problem / crash. There's 3 in there at the moment, including the original one I bought. However, if I was buying a HDD today (which I will be soon), it would have to be the WD drive that everyone is suggesting.

I am going with the WD120JB 8mb cache and only $107 at most places right now. I am getting mine at newegg.com. They also sell a Sata dongle for it for $24.99, $10 off if you get it with a harddrive.
    Kind of hard to beat that deal.
    From what I remember it is usually $1 a Gig plus more if you wanted any cache.

Just my opinion.
    Chez

Quote Originally Posted by vfoong
    Well I'd say Seagate's are pretty reliable... I myself have 2 seagate drives and they work without a hitch. They may not be as fast as the Western Digitals, but they're sturdy and VERY quiet... I can hardly hear them.
    Yep, i don't think any other brand can beat Seagate when it comes to lifetime and reliability.. But a proper system cooling is important to keep any modern drive alive.. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information