Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problems with Serial ATA Setup

I recently bought a Gigabyte 7VAXP Ultra Mobo and a 120Gb Seagate Barracuda SATA V Hard Drive.I set it up with a AthlonXP 2000+, a 64Mb Ge-Force 440 graphics card, 256 of PC2700 DDR Ram,Lite-on 52X Cd-rom and standard floppy drive +350W PSU. I installed Win98 SE and everything was fine until I installed the SataLink driver from the M/Board CD. It needed a restart after installing the driver but it froze during startup and refused to load. I reformatted the C:\ Partition and tried to load Win XP Pro. I copied the SataLink driver to a floppy and specified it when asked by the win XP setup. Once again, the PC needed a restart and promptly froze after the POST.
    I tried the installation using the SataLink add-on card supplied with the Mobo and I also tried direct connection using an adapter cable that I Made to connect to the standard PSU lead . After countless hours working on it, trying various ways to install the OS I still can't get it to accept the SataLink driver. I tried the raid driver also but it didn't make any difference.

I'm just wondering has anyone else come across this problem or does anyone know how to get to install the driver. Any thoughts on the subject will be gratefully appreciated

:mad: :mad:

Is the driver suitable for use with SE? :?:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I used the drivers from the Mobo disc and even downloaded the latest from Gigabyte site but still no luck. There is no Auto detect hard drives in Bios and no way to set it to boot directly from the Serial drive. Win 98 loads ok until I put in the driver but then it won't restart. i just get a total freeze in setup of XP after specifying the Satalink driver.
    Hope you might have some more ideas.

:steam:

Still no luck with that driver problem. I loaded Win98se on a small IDE drive and then used the Seagate DiskWizard to install the Sata drive. The DiskWizard allows you partition and format the Sata drive and you can copy the entire contents of the boot drive to make the Sata the boot drive. The Sata driver loaded no problem on the IDE drive. As soon as the system was copied to the Sata drive, the PC booted up to "verifying DMI pool data" and that's as far as it would go.
    The idea behind copying the system to the Sata drive was to put a good install of 98se on there and then upgrade to XP. I even got the latest version of the Sata drivers but I'm beginning to think that there is a problem with the Sata Drive itself or the SataLink controller chip onboard. I sent details of the problems to the Gigabyte tech team but no reply so far.

I'm going to ring the Seagate customer services team to see if they can shed any light on this issue. I'll let you know if they come up with a solution.

Dinjo

Seagate Support is ok, but not that great. I called twice and thought that they weren't very helpful. But then again that is just old me here talking!

Chaos

It may be a dumb question but why would you want to run anything less than 2000 or XP on that cutting edge system? I'm not even sure if Win98 even has support for SATA.

I installed a Barracuda SATA drive in my system and it was kind of tricky to get those drivers installed prior to installing XP. Took me several attempts for some reason. It seemed to work best when the SATA drivers were on a floppy and I simply inserted them during the initial XP loading process prior to installation. I couldn't get them to install off the CD.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Thread Information