I recently bought a PEP66 2nd hand. After relying on my trusty ThermoEngine for as long as I can remember, to replace the std Intel HSF on my CPU. Now at the time I bought the TE, I had originally wanted the PEP66 because of the hype and brand name, but my budget couldn't stretch as far (or my conscience couldn't justify the cost).

I thought someone might get something out of the comparative performance of the two.

The Alpha bought 2nd hand was in no less than perfect condition. It seems it has not been used, EVER. No scratches, no dents, no dust at all! Truly "as new" condition. :)

Anyway, let's get down to business:

All testing done with the same 4500RPM YS Tech 60x25mm fan unit. I forget the model number, but it's the "standard" fan (as opposed to the high speed 7000RPM one).

CPU used: Cel900, 1.75V (default) running 124FSB. Standard heat output 26.7W according to Intel spec sheet. So I'm guessing it's around 30W when o/clocked.

Environment: CPU on Abit slotket. Temp readings care of AOpen Hardware Monitor 2.33.

Definition of terms: Idle = windows desktop. Load = running RC5.

Results:
ThermoEngine: 33 idle 36 load
Alpha (suck): 34 idle 37 load
Alpha (blow): 34 idle 38 load

Incredible. The cheaper 'sink made entirely of Aluminium beat the upmarket "brand name" with copper inlay in my setup. Granted the relatively low heat output of the Coppermine based Intel chip may not be the chip to test heatsinks, but it's all I had available. I tested the PEP66 with the fan in both directions because of the controversy over the issue, and it's yet again proven that Alpha 'sinks do indeed perform better sucking.

Since I have a whopping great 92mm high speed Panaflo blowing at the CPU/vid card area via the side of my case, the sucking orientation theoretically sets up an airflow clash, as the CPU fan and case fan both blow air at each other in the same space (separated only by maybe 40mm).

Questions, comments, criticisms welcome.