Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Radeon 9700 Pro!

Please help! I'm having bad stability issues with my brand spankin new Radeon 9700 Pro (Built by ATI version). I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers as of this writing (May 25, 2003) and all of my other drivers are up to date as well. Since I just re-built this system after some changes, there are only 3 games installed on it, 1 of which works (Medal of Honor) and 2 that dont (Enter the Matrix & GTA:Vice City). Both the latter two lock up at random points in the game almost without fail, just a complete hang and frozen screen. This is a clean installation, I've only put in the drivers and a few minor odds and ends and have tweaked NOTHING yet.

My setup:
    ----------------------------------------------
    MSI KT7N2-L (8x AGP is set)
    AMD Athlon 2400+ XP
    1GB PC2700 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Creative Extigy
    MSI TV @nywhere PCI Card
    Promise ATA133 Controller
    2 Maxtor 60GB IDE Hard Drives
    1 Western Digital 120GB Hard Drive
    Pioneer DVR-105
    HP dvd300i DVD+RW
    LiteOn 48x24x48 CD-RW
    MSI 52x CD-ROM
    PC Toys 520watt Power Supply
    ----------------------------------------------

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the lockups? Is 8X AGP unstable on this board? Could it be the TV @nywhere? I'm at a complete loss here. I removed a Asus Geforce4 Ti4200 from mostly the same setup and prior to adding the 9700 everything worked just fine. I only re-installed Windows because my primary HD was a mess but that's no longer an issue. Is it possible I have a defective 9700? I'm using Directx9.0a and all of that and it passes the tests.

Please help! Thanks.

Hmm i'm not sure about this so run the full system tests at PcPitstop . Also make sure u have enough cooling and try re-insalling the drivers. Thats all i can think of at the moment.:(
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

I tried PC Pitstop already and everything came out fine.

Interestingly, I knocked the AGP speed down to 4x instead of 8x and it seems to have cleared up. I know that in the "early days" of 8x AGP it was considered to be pretty unstable but is it still? I mean the motherboard is about 2 months old and the card is brand new. You'd think it would be fairly ironed-out by now. Anyone else have 8x AGP trouble, particularly with the 9700 Pro?

that sounds like a mobo problem. check for bios update fix or mobo agp driver fix from msi.

Beefy Guest

Just quick question: What nForce2 drivers are you using? There was a recall recently for the latest nForce2 drivers as they caused a lot of problems... check out this link

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nforce_udp_winxp_2.03

Thats interesting information about the nForce drivers. I will look into that as that is the version I'm using. Missed that announcement by a day, hahaha. As for the BIOS and AGP updates, I checked with MSI and there isn't anything that applies as far as I can see. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm really missing out on anything with 8x AGP anyway as a few other posts around here would suggest not.

sorry but i forgot to mention this earlier, try 4x agp in the bios, this has fixed a few problems similiar to yours.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by C_deck
    sorry but i forgot to mention this earlier, try 4x agp in the bios, this has fixed a few problems similiar to yours.
    Umm, he said he did that earlier and it worked. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Umm, he said he did that earlier and it worked. :)
    i'm bad, i can't read. i missed that post entirely. :)

Just to be sure, you said the latest Catalyst drivers were installed? 3.4 right? Because there were known issues with 8x AGP in versions prior to 3.2.

Other than that...do what the others said and verify you have the latest BIOS firmware for your mobo and the latest mobo NForce2 drivers installed. Be careful of using the reference drivers directly from Nvidia and use the ones that MSI provides. Without the drivers things will not work right.

There is also a possibility something in your BIOS settings got out of wack so you could reset all your BIOS settings to default and work from there.

Once you've verified all the latest drivers and BIOS updates you could try uninstalling your Catalyst drivers and your mobo drivers and then reinstalling them. And make sure there are no residual drivers for other graphics cards or motherboards or for that matter any other non existent hardware still installed in Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information