Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which video card should i buy?

Hey people. I'm choosing between 2 video cards and i need help. The NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 Ultra and the Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4800SE are the ones. They're the same price. The Ti4800SE has slightly higher benchmark results, but is it worth getting the FX on the basis that it's a DirectX 9 card? Thanks.

Definetly the ti4800 :). The FX 5600 can't compete with that bad-boy :afro:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

I think that for the same price, dx9 hardware support is the way to go. Personally, if I had the money i would have got a dx9 card like a radeon 9700 pro but with no vivo and only aiw (i need video in) the price of $650 at the time was just out of the question due to my family needing to eat. That was only 3 months ago. And even $550 now is still too steep. I payed $209 for what I got and im very happy with it.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

I've looked at more benchmarks closely and it looks like the Ti is considerably better. The only thing the FX is better at is Anti Aliasing and Antistropic filtering. Personally i dont care for AA but filtering's ok. That wouldn't justify th price though. Is the Unreal 2003 engine DX9 based? Even on that the Ti still is better. If not what are the advantages of having a DX9 card? Thanks.

I would wait for the next generation geforce fx cards and see,or if you must get video card now,get ati radeon 9500pro or 9600pro.I am happy with my msi gf4ti-4200,but it's old school now.It wouldn't make sense buying these cards now,unless money is an issue.Happy gaming!: peace2:
    A friend of mine,a friend of ours.
    What do i call you?

The radeon 9500 Pro is on par with the geforce. Some games it is better, some worse. More expensive though. I think ATI make the best cards, but they aren't in my price range. That's the problem Don. I want to spend about 150 on a card or less if possible and the new FX generation has been released; but it seems the old generation although slightly cheaper, perform better in most cases. Actually just now i had a close look at two benchmarks. the 9500 is almost as good as the 5600 in directx 9 leaving the TIs lagging way behind. But on directx 8 benchmarks the TI takes the lead over the 9500 and the 5600. I think Don is right though, the Radeon 9500 Pro is the better choice overall, even though it costs more. Well thanks!

I have a TI4400 card, which is the same thing as the TI4800. I am totally happy with it, and on my crapy system it get 6000 in 3DMARK01 and 1200 in 3DMARK03, which really isnt that bad, considereing 3200+/9800PROs only score 6000. It has solid overclocking, and it runs fine. It has partial DX9 support, which i am havin no problems with, expecially since the only things i know that are shipping with DX9 are Vice City and 3DMARK03. I would say that u pickin the TI4800SE is a REALLY good decision if you are on a budget. Besides, the nextgen of GF FX cards are only super-high end.
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

You think. Hmm. But for only 20 more I could get a card which is really good at Anisotropic and can handle DX9 very well. I thought that the DX9 advantage will give it a lead over newer games.

Thread Information