Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GeForce 4 MX - Ughhhhhhhh!

But i have a doubt. when a game use the Transform & lightning mecanism, will this card do the work?
    I have the 3D Mark 2001 and it have a test for T&L that doesn´t run on my Voodoo because this video card doesn´t support this function. Will this test run on the Geforce 4MX?
    I don´t think so
    Nós vamos invadir sua praia, baby

The card can do T&L, but it cannot do things like per-pixel shading and it doesn't have hardware support for DirectX 8. It will still run the games that use this type of coding, but you won't be able to get the full effect of the graphics unless you have a card that can support these functions.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Any features not supported in GPU hardware will generally be emulated by software - but it's not as efficient.

e.g. the Kyro II does not support hardware T & L but it can still run games that require T&L - through software emulation

Similarily the GF4MX will be able to run DX8 games and probably DX9 games, but without hardware support for certain features, you CPU will be more heavily loaded and your framerates will suffer.

I'm note sure if this is reflected in current benchmarks....buy not supporting H/W pixel shaders it simply does not run the test in 3DM2001...how does this affect the score? I don't know.

i have a GF2 MX, will buying a GF4 440 make much difference ? ..........plz say yes plz say yes plz say yes :D

" have a GF2 MX, will buying a GF4 440 make much difference "

Yes, definitely
    Athlon AX1A 1200@1332
    (148x9)
    Asus A7v133
    MSI GF3-Ti200

Most certainly will. ;)

Thank you, Darthtanion and RDR for your explanations

Quote Originally Posted by Shepps
    i have a GF2 MX, will buying a GF4 440 make much difference ? ..........plz say yes plz say yes plz say yes :D
    Yes and Yes again! for the guys on a budget.......this is a god send of a litttle card.............................

Big D and RDR, nicely done!

It's simple, for those with deeper pockets, hey wait for the big brother Gf4's they should be killer cards.........for everyone else.....
    this little card will make your heart fly over the older Gf2 mx series. For those tech hunters that prefer to tradeup every year, the 460's and newer middle ground cards should prove to be very satisfing. ATI is sweating this one, I'm sure.

For a budget card the new Gf4's :flames:
    Todate: 1000+ OC'g postings,
    +=I lost count sometime ago.

AthlonXP 1800|MSI K7T266PRO2|786mb P2100 Mushkin|20gig IBM GXP60 (Deathstar- it's twin died) Hd |20gig maxtor ata133|Abit GF4 TI 4200|SdBlstr live!|16x t0shy|16x10x40 Liton| Cooling: 3 80mm cf@128cfm, 2 grill Hd fans, 2 92mm & 80mm @64cfm mod'd gladiator.
    CPU @ 34c & Case @ 31c| MSXP|dsl

Save everybody sometime, post your system spec's. It saves time when ya need help!

Here's a post from an ID Software (makers of doom etc) guru......

http://www.webdog.org/plans/1/

PS talking about budgets...a GF3ti200 costs about the same as the GF4MX...so what's the argument????? Game makers are doubting the value (and that's user value) of a technology that has actually gone backwards???? Fine if you want to stay with the current lot of software but the newer software will leave the GF4MX wanting as already indicated in the link above
    The older I get...the better I was

Please don't take my comments wrongly...the GF4MX IS good technology BUT it is not the generational change that you would expect from a new model....the 4 in GF4MX does NOT mean it is superior to the previous chipset on a bang for the buck basis and THAT is what I have been alluding to......if you can do without the hardware support for dx8 then fine....but if you are a gamer then i would look real close at the options.
    The older I get...the better I was

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information