Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Dawn demo with 256mb ramHi,

Hi,

Is it possible to run the Dawn demo with 256mb system ram?

I tried several times and I always get an Illegal operation in XP and 98 with different dirver versions.... I have a xfx fx 5200 128mb.

Bollux

That and your video card would be putting a lot of stress on your system to run the demo - you would probably need 512mb to run it.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

PROBLEM SOLVED

My system is an Athlon 1.2 thus no SSE, that was what made the prog crash, applid pattch and prerto! it works

Really, i thought we did have SSE1 :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:. Anyways, i was looking at the min. spec list for the Dawn Demo, and it said that you need 512 MB if RAM, i think.
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Only Athlon XP's have the SSE1 instructions, earlier Athlons don't.

Well, it really says you need 512mb, but i have 256 and win xp and run the demo flawlessly even with dozens of other apps running

Well it depends on your screen resolution used during the graphic intense app.. To high res with a memory amount that isn't enough will force the computer to read from it's harddrive during the memory peaks no matter how fast your other computer is.. "Swapping"

You could always reebot the comp, run the demo and then check in your task manager how high the peak usage is. Then do the thing all over again but with a different res and you'll see what I mean.. :devil win

:cheers:

Thread Information