Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Radeon 9700 Pro Problem

Ok, so I finally finishe building my system. Here are the specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    Asus A7V8X DDR 400
    512 MB Kingston PC3200
    2x 120 GB WD HDD 8MB Cache
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    Pioneer 106-S DVD-ROM
    Philips 24x12x40 CD-RW

Most of my other peripherals are onboard, such as sound and LAN and gameport, etc., so the Radeon is the only card plugged into the mobo. The Radeon was the last remaining piece, so I was running a Geforce 2 MX while I waited for the Radeon to arrrive. When I put it together and tested with 3dMark03, It was at 4859 Marks. Then I actually started playing games with it.

I got all the way through Unreal 2, and it locked up maybe 3 times. I played a Tony Hawk 4 demo and it locked up once and then after I started playing again, the whole system powered down. Now I'm attempting the new Breed demo, and it locks up around 1-2 minutes into the game.

Now, what I'd like to hear is that my 400W Powmax PSU is a piece of crap, and replacing it with, say, an Antec 430W PSU, will solve the problem of locking up in a second. Also, there is the issue of my wanting to throw a blue cold cathode light in my system, as well. However, my one concern has to do with 3dMark03. I can't quite understand why I can run a game/demo at 1024x768x32 and it locks, but when I test my system at 1600x1200x32, repeatedly, it has no problem. I'm worried the problem may be deeper than the power supply.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Did you remove all traces of the Detonator drivers before installin' the R9700P? :?:

That would be my first choice as well. nVidia boards and ATi boards have notoriously hated each other for some time and one must be completely uninstalled before putting the other in. Even with the excellent driver control of WinXP you need to take this extra step when switching from one of these to the other.

Since you have an ATi board now, you might try heading over to www.guru3d.com and downloading their "Detonator Destroyer" utility as it will do exactly what we're talking about.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

My setup is close to yours and I have no stability issues. I did a clean install of Windows on a new drive when I put this thing together the last time but you shouldn't have to do that. Also make sure you are using the latest drivers for your mobo from AUSUS, don't use the NVidia Nforce2 reference drivers. Another thing to test would be to run a check of your RAM but that's a longshot.

I'm running my setup (see my sig) on an Antec 350W with two drives and two opticals but not a lot of fans.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Ok, I think I may have solved the problem, although somewhat inadvertently. First off, the Detonator Destroyer didn't find any, but it mentioned on the web page that XP compatibility is coming soon, so there may actually be some residual drivers. However, I did decide to flash my BIOS from rev 1009 to 1012.

While this seems to have fixed my problem, I think it is fixed for different reasons than I had expected. I figured the new BIOS would help with the compatibility in some way. However, I noticed the Graphics Aperture size setting in the BIOS now won't let me go above 32MB, as opposed to the 128MB it was set at before. I was looking into it further, and it seems that for video cards with faster RAM than the system RAM, the aperture size needs to be smaller. This is due to the fact that if the card requires more use of the system ram, it actually slows the card down to the point where it is too slow, and it craps out.

Anyway, it's still at 32MB, and I'm not sure if maybe I should set it lower than that. However, I was able to run the Breed demo until my death in the game, so it seems to be fixed. I am also still curious about the power supply, as I also neglected to mention the 4 case fans that require power as well.

Any further advice would help, and thanks for what you've given me.

Thread Information