Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: agp aperture size???

I did find a program that showed what the AGP memory was set/allowed to use, but that was ages ago and can't remember it's name. I changed to different settings, and showed what it was using, for mine anything over 128MB didn't make a difference, it didn't enable any extra memory to use for it.

As for Nvidia it seems more often than not the more you throw at them the better they work....

I tried 3DMark2001 with my ATi 9700Pro at both 64MB and 128MB and it actually ran very slightly faster at 64MB. Not fast enough to determine anything but it shows mostly that 3DMark2001 isn't demanding enough on high end cards to need any more.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/ exlains what this is all about and shows you tests based on different settings of AAS
    many people still ignore the importance of AAS or set it incorrectly. Generally measured in megabytes (MB), AAS is the amount of system memory (RAM) shared with an AGP graphics card in order for it to have more memory to process textures and other visual data.

Well in 99% of the times it should be set to the same amount that you video card has OR half the amount of random access mem ya got installed.. :devil win

So in most cases you wouldn't wanna set it less than the vidcards mem, that's for sure. But as mentioned, try it out and see what's best for ya computer.

Here's the best explanation of AGP Aperture size from Rojakpots BIOS Guide: http://www.rojakpot.com/showBOG.aspx?bogno=23

As you can see it's not as simple as 1/2 physical RAM or whatever. Basically for most modern cards I recommend AGP Aperture=128MB. If set below 64MB you disable AGP texturing which is a big performance hit, and at 256MB there is no performance difference between 128 and 256MB.

Bottom line: 64 or 128MB are the best settings for most people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information