Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R420 Loki

After ATI introduces its late summer speed update, codenamed the R360, we can reveal today that it is set to make a significant change to eighteen months of R300 architecture. The R350 and R360 are just speed bumps of existing architecture with some features enabled, but the technology called R420 is a totally new architecture.

We're still trying to fathom what happed to R400 and why ATI has codenamed its next generation technology the R420.

The R420 is being developed under the project name Loki, named after the Norse deity, son of Farbauti, held responsible for fire and magic, and able to take numerous different shapes. Loki was also held directly responsible for the death of the god of light, Baldur.

The R420 will be a PCI Express chip and at this time we can only wonder how many transistors it will have, but we have every reason to assume more than 110 million and probably less than 150 million.

PCI Express is a major technology scheduled for Q2 2004, and Intel's Grantsdale chipset will support this new wave in computing.

ATI is aiming to launch cards using the R420 around Comdex/late November, but this will really be a paper launch as we can't expect cards that early, although we can expect samples.

Production and market availability of the cards is scheduled for Q1 2004.

How will ATI solve the problem that this chip will be PCI Express based, and all that you will be able to buy until Q1 2004 is AGP 8X at the best?

The answer is that ATI is going to develop a PCI Express to AGP bridge, so it will work with existing AGP platforms and still work when PCI Express boards hit the market.

We expect that either R420 will get its new PCI Express brother in Q2 next year, or else ATI may introduce new technology to bump the speed up.

We can now confirm that the card will have hardware support for both PS 3.0 and VS 3.0, to give developers more programmability and it will be able to achieve feats that NV35 and R350 is incapable of doing.

As for memory we are still not too certain about the details, but GDDR2 seems like a fair bet to us.
    the inq

Well I guess that gives me at least a good year before I need to start shopping around for a new system eh? :D
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Originally posted by weta
    The R420 is being developed under the project name Loki, named after the Norse deity, son of Farbauti, held responsible for fire Probably runs hot and magic So fast, it'll be magical, and able to take numerous different shapes AGP & PCI-Express. Loki was also held directly responsible for the death of the god of light, Baldur. nVidia
    How will ATI solve the problem that this chip will be PCI Express based, and all that you will be able to buy until Q1 2004 is AGP 8X at the best?
    The answer is that ATI is going to develop a PCI Express to AGP bridge, so it will work with existing AGP platforms and still work when PCI Express boards hit the market.
    Sweet
    We can now confirm that the card will have hardware support for both PS 3.0 and VS 3.0, to give developers more programmability and it will be able to achieve feats that NV35 and R350 is incapable of doing. Don't they always say something like that ?
    SPAM Special Ops

weta: Sorry about dissecting your post, but I thought it'd be easier that way.:group:

My question is....If they create a PCI-Express to AGP bridge, how will they account for the extra height created by the adapter ? The slot bracket is only so long, and is screwed down. They'd need a spacer (or something) behind the bracket.
    SPAM Special Ops

E^vol: As I understand it, the R420 will be designed as a pure PCI-Express card, with ATI offering two versions.
    The first will feature a PCI-Express to AGP bridge allowing it to be used on an AGP motherboard. The second (later) card
    will be a pure PCI-Express solution.

Ahh, so depending on which version you buy, you're stuck with that bus...:rolleyes2
    SPAM Special Ops

Sources with knowledge of the matter revealed that the graphics chip known under the code-name R420 and developed under project-name Loki will be two times faster than the original RADEON 9800 PRO. As we revealed earlier, it will incorporate 110 to 150 million of transistors and will support Pixel and Vertex Shaders 3.0. I expect the part to feature 8 rendering pipelines with 2 texture modules per each or 16 pipelines with 1 texture module per pipe. Its architecture will have much in common with the original R300 and R350/R360.

Talking about manufacturing technology used for the R420, our sources said that the graphics processor will be made using mature TSMC’s 0.15 micron fabrication process which seems to be enough for modern VPUs.

Currently it is unknown when the Loki R420 to be heaven-sent to the Earth, but in general it is expected to arrive in late 2003 or early 2004. We can even see some samples of R420 graphics cards this Fall, but definitely not massive commercial availability of such products since ATI Technologies needs a timeframe to sell its R360 code-named product.
    x-bit

E^vol: Unfortunately that's right

Quote Originally Posted by weta
    Sources with knowledge of the matter revealed that the graphics chip known under the code-name R420 and developed under project-name Loki will be two times faster than the original RADEON 9800 PRO.
    ATI & nVidia have said this before..."2 times faster"...But they never really are. Should be interesting to see what kind of performance it will have however. :2cents:
    Quote Originally Posted by weta
    Talking about manufacturing technology used for the R420, our sources said that the graphics processor will be made using mature TSMC’s 0.15 micron fabrication process which seems to be enough for modern VPUs.
    I'm surprised that ATI will still be using the "aging" 0.15µ process...
    SPAM Special Ops

E^vol: It was rumoured that Loki would be a 0.11u part, but I believe ATI will play it save and use the 0.13u process instead.
    There is no reason for them to use the 0.15u process for the R420, and I don't think they will.

0.11µ ? They just started with the 0.13µ process !
    I agree with you weta, they'll probably use the 0.13µ process for the R420. And maybe start testing the 0.11µ process with the R420, but only use it for manufacturing the R500 core.
    SPAM Special Ops

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information